Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
CV Joint install (inners)
philip_damon - Tuesday, 25 September, 2012, at 11:22:15 am
Hi All,

I'm having trouble getting new CV inner joints onto the axle; is there an orientation of the joint that I'm missing? Is there a exterior (wheel) side vs. a interior (transmission) side?

Thanks for the help.

Phil
philip_damon
Hi All,

I'm having trouble getting new CV inner joints onto the axle; is there an orientation of the joint that I'm missing? Is there a exterior (wheel) side vs. a interior (transmission) side?

Thanks for the help.

Phil

My Boxster had new CV boots installed but not before the CV bearings were cleaned, inspected and when found good repacked with grease but I do not know the details of the process.

The closest I could come to any info regarding the area you asked about is the removal/installation instructions for the axles.

To whit: To remove one step requires pressing the drive shaft out of the wheel hub toothing [sic].

More: Since the drive shaft can be moved only using great force, loosen the shaft inwards with taps on a copper mandrel. Lift up the shaft near the inner joint (possible damage to the closure cap of the drive shaft may occur). For unfavorable tolerances, the drive shaft must be pressured out of the wheel hub toothing using a wheel hub extractor. Always check the boots for damage if continuing to use the drive shaft. Replace the boots if necessary. Push out the drive shaft. To do this, lift the drive shaft backwards over the transmission holder. For manual transmission vehicles, push the clutch slave cylinder lead carefully forwards. Push the shaft to the rear and push out to the side beside the wheel carrier.

Installation? You'll love this: Install in reverse order. Grease the toothing of the drive shaft with Optimoly HT. Use correct tightening torque.

There's a mention of checking the clutch slave cylinder lead and checking for fluid leaks. There's a note to use only optimized axle nuts -- version B -- for drive shaft fastening. My reference gives a part #: 999 084 640 02, dated 6/99, which means you should check with your local Porsche dealer parts department for any changes to the axle nut part number.

While there you might ask about the inner joints installation.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
"...if you disassemble the inner CV Joint, remember that the ball hub has a camfered inner end that must face toward the axle after you re-grease it and install it into the ball cage, then into the CV Joint."

I'm no expert, so I can't help any further on the CV joint, but if you want the entire posting...here's the link (hope it works...if not: www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/117-cv-boot-replacement/)

The posting has many photos that may help you out. The above quote is from step #16.

Good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login