Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
coolant system bleed valve
Wayne K - Thursday, 4 October, 2012, at 10:17:02 am
I used the proper procedure to bleed the coolant system. I pulled up the metal tabe to raise the bleed valve. Went through the procedure but when I went to close the valve the metal tab went back down but the valve didn't. I slowly opened the cap and as the pressure escaped the valve closed. Is this the way the valve should fuction or should it close even under pressure?
Re: coolant system bleed valve
San Rensho - Thursday, 4 October, 2012, at 11:51:36 am
When the car is hot, the purge valve stays open. Completely normal.
other than during a coolant refill operation but is closed after the proper cooling system is completely filled.

A pressure test tests the cap (the older ones were a single stage design with a relief pressure of 1.3 bar while the newer ones have two stages where the cap opens at 1.4 bar and closes again when the pressure drops to 1.0 bar.)

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thank you for your responses. Marc, just so you understand the purge valve does not open unless I manually open it. I had to add some coolant because I believe the cap was bad and I wanted to make sure that there wasn't any air in the system. I bought the latest version cap and installed it after topping up coolant and then opened the purge valve and went through the procedure. When finished the valve had pressure against it and would not close until I relieved the pressure in the system by carefully opening the cap. I was asking if this is normal or should the valve close even under system pressure when you return the metal tab back to its closed position.
MarcW
other than during a coolant refill operation but is closed after the proper cooling system is completely filled.

A pressure test tests the cap (the older ones were a single stage design with a relief pressure of 1.3 bar while the newer ones have two stages where the cap opens at 1.4 bar and closes again when the pressure drops to 1.0 bar.)

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Pretty sure.

[forums.rennlist.com]
San Rensho
MarcW

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Pretty sure.

[forums.rennlist.com]

overflow tank but is part of the pressure system. The cap is the pressure relief valve in case pressure builds in the system that could damage the tank or something else.

But I do not have the time to dig deeper into this right now so this will have to wait for another time.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
MarcW
San Rensho
MarcW

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Pretty sure.

[forums.rennlist.com]

overflow tank but is part of the pressure system. The cap is the pressure relief valve in case pressure builds in the system that could damage the tank or something else.

But I do not have the time to dig deeper into this right now so this will have to wait for another time.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Take it up with Insite, I trust his judgement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login