Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
New spark plug performance question
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 4 October, 2012, at 12:05:46 pm
Just had my spark plugs replaced at about 60K miles today. Mechanic said the old ones looked in great shape except for the rounded wear on the center electrode. He showed them to me and they looked medium gray, a little darker at the tips.

Driving it home, it felt like the throttle response was a bit sharper. Figment of my imagination or would that happen with new plugs?
Guenter in Ontario
Just had my spark plugs replaced at about 60K miles today. Mechanic said the old ones looked in great shape except for the rounded wear on the center electrode. He showed them to me and they looked medium gray, a little darker at the tips.

Driving it home, it felt like the throttle response was a bit sharper. Figment of my imagination or would that happen with new plugs?

I believe I felt some improvement in the engine's throttle response after the plugs were renewed in my 996. They had around 60K miles on them but were really due to be changed at 48K miles.

What did they look like? Well, I just happen to have a bagged set of the old 996 plugs (uh, make that several sets of old (996 and Boxster) plugs) in a bowl behind one of my desktop LCDs and I pulled some of the recently changed plugs out and the tips were worn/eroded both at the center electrode and the ground electrodes (2 per plug). They were clearly past their replace by date.

But really whether you notice any improvement or not you did the right thing.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
has been the same.

In fact at least once I've let the plugs go until way past 60K miles and felt no difference when they were changed. These >60K plugs were of the 4 ground electrode style and there was considerable errosion of the ground electrode tips and that of the center electrode. It had the shape of a mushroom the erosion was so severe.

But the engine's performance before they were changed based on the lack of drama after the new plugs went in appeared to be unaffected. Gas mileage remained as near as I could tell the same given the same driving.

However, I'm still going to adhere, well, try to adhere, to whatever the miles/time is regarding when plugs are due to be changed.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I don't notice it as much now. Maybe I am just used to it (68K now) or maybe the improvement has gone away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login