Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Paper vs. carbon cabin filter
Bobtesa - Friday, 5 October, 2012, at 5:10:10 pm
This has probably been discussed here, but other than spending a few more bucks, are there any real benefits from using a carbon filter over a paper filter? I mostly drive in the country with either the top down or the windows open so plenty of air is getting into the cabin anyway. Maybe there is a benefit when driving in hot or cold cities with windows closed where there is more pollution. Other than that, is there any reason to pay for cleaner air that is already coming into the car in buckets?

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Paper vs. carbon cabin filter
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 5 October, 2012, at 5:40:24 pm
I believe the carbon cabin filter will help remove odors from the air coming into the car (with the roof and windows closed of course winking smiley ). As you say though, most of us drive with the roof down most of the time, so it's not going to make much of a difference for most of your driving.
So where do you get paper? *NM*
TheFarmer - Friday, 5 October, 2012, at 8:59:08 pm
Re: So where do you get paper?
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 5 October, 2012, at 9:33:43 pm
There is another reason
Boxsterra - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 7:26:20 am
The carbon filter supposedly lasts twice as long.

If you get the part from AutohausAz, the carbon filter is $15.49 and the paper is $10.99. At that price, the carbon filter is clear choice.

[www.autohausaz.com]
Re: There is another reason
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 9:40:24 am
I agree with only $4.50 difference in price, it's no big deal one way or another.

I don't understand, though how one air filter can last longer than another. There isn't anything that wears out. Each one simply gets clogged with dust, pollen etc. The charcoal part just takes out/absorbs odours. If you put the same amount of contaminants on each one, wouldn't that restrict airflow the same with either one?
Re: There is another reason
Laz - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 12:02:52 pm
The contaminants will smell better!
grinning smiley *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 12:06:26 pm
Perhaps it's a matter of moisture/mildew/degradation?
Boxsterra - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 5:52:24 pm
All I know is that the two materials are different.
Boxsterra
The carbon filter supposedly lasts twice as long.

If you get the part from AutohausAz, the carbon filter is $15.49 and the paper is $10.99. At that price, the carbon filter is clear choice.

[www.autohausaz.com]

is the activated charcol style develops a sort of musty/moldy vaguely sour odor -- that has me remembeing my old high school gym bag -- that is only eliminated by replacing the filter.

IIRC dealers only stock or can get the activated charcol style filter.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login