Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Decision on blown engine
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 10:38:13 am
Ok, now that the emotions have calmed down, the accountant in me came out and the decision is?........ buy a new used car. After my indy saw that I was now thinking a bit more rational, he said that putting another engine in the chassis was "insane". While I won't go that far, my logic is based on continued, long-term, only driver, ownership of whatever I own. I need something dependable.

For those that may be reading this for the first time, my 2nd engine blew in my meticulously maintained 2000 S. The first blew at 47K miles and the second at 197K miles (150K on the engine).

I will buy another Porsche although why I am rewarding a company that denies the manufacture of defective products is way outside of my own behavioral norm, but it will be a 2009 or later. 2009 is the new engine design without an IMS. I most likely will buy a used 2009 911 but am not sure yet...... My logic is that I will shoot for long-term ownership of the new used one so I want it to be a better or at least expected to be a better more durable design. Given the input from various mechanics and those who track them, it does appear to be the case.

I think I will wait a few months until the prices come down a bit more - maybe I can get away without buying another set of rims and snow tires. There are many out there with low mileage and while this may be great for a buyer, it also feeds back on driving down the value of a high mileage one.

What am I driving now? My elderly mother lent me her year unknown Camry with a 4 cylinder and campaign paint.... ooooo...... ahhhh.......

So I will be selling my Ocean Blue rims with three-week old Micheling Pilots 17" in a few weeks as well as my hard top.... maybe the Nakamichi stereo and a amps....... argh, here comes the emotional side of me.....

Pics at 175K miles: Careful, put on your sunglasses!!

Thanx all for your input.

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2012 10:58AM by Bruce In Philly (195K+). (view changes)
Re: Decision on blown engine
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 11:46:28 am
It really is too bad that you had to go through this, Bruce.

I think it was a really good idea to weigh your options and go through the logic, specially since you want this as a long time, reliable daily driver. Like I had said in my earlier post in the original thread, if you buy an '09 or '10 from a dealer, you'd get a CPO warranty and an engine design that hasn't got the part that has hit you twice already. You should end up with a car that good to go for 10 - 15 years. If you spend, say $25K more for this car, compared to repairing your current one, it would only work out to about $2.5K - $1.7K per year and I'm not sure that you'd expect to get another 10 - 15 years out of your current car, even with a new engine.

Stick to your plan. I think it's a good one.

Start thinking about the enjoyment you'll get out of a new ride.

Happy shopping.
MikenOH - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 11:55:40 am
Bruce:
Sounds like a plan, best of luck with it.

Just for reference, here's a '09S' that is local--CPO w/PDK:
[www.porschebeachwood.com]
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 12:04:18 pm
I notice they have a good description of exactly what a CPO warranty covers with this listing.
Thanx!
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 1:08:38 pm
I used to work right near that dealership in the early'80s.... I went to grad school at Case Western and got my first job in Beechwood.

I want a manual.... Too many years as a kid jammin' the air gears watching Saturday racing. I want a Chaparel! Even had a Chaprel slot car with a tilting wing.... wing was controlled by the torque changes in the electric motor rocking back and forth. Coooolllll....

Bruce
Re: Thanx!
MikenOH - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 10:25:43 pm
Bruce In Philly (195K+)
I used to work right near that dealership in the early'80s.... I went to grad school at Case Western and got my first job in Beechwood.

I want a manual.... Too many years as a kid jammin' the air gears watching Saturday racing. I want a Chaparel! Even had a Chaprel slot car with a tilting wing.... wing was controlled by the torque changes in the electric motor rocking back and forth. Coooolllll....

Bruce

Here's another on the west side:
[north-olmsted.porschedealer.com]

Manual, 12k miles--a lot more $--$54K; that's a lot of money for a 4 year old car with Bose and a few other options.
For another $10K you could get a new low option 981.
Can't fault your decision. What are you going....
MarcW - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 1:22:31 pm
to do with your 2000 S with the blown engine?

In the meantime enjoy the seach for your new car. A 2009 911 I think would be an awesome choice provided of course you could live sans the roadster experience.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Craig's list... eBay?
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 2:17:24 pm
I really don't know what to do with it.

Maybe I will call around to a few speed shops and see if they are interested.

Ideas?

Bruce
I called Oklahoma Foreign and spoke to someone there about buying the car. I was asked some questions and pics were requested, pics from specific angles, which I took then sent.

No too long after the pics went off the offer came back at $17.4K which proved to be what the insurance company allowed for the car's value. It was kind of nice to get a "2nd opinion" on the car's value.

Had I taken OF up on its offer the way it works is I was told a check for half the amount would be sent to me or transferred to my account PDQ then when the truck showed up either the driver would have the 2nd check or the money transferred directly into my account. I do not recall now but I'm sure I would have had to have a valid title (it would have been a salvage title) and sign away all interest in the vehicle.

OF and similar busineses have trucks buzzing around collecting cars from all over. A pick up would be scheduled to coincide with when a truck would be in this area and wouldn't take more than a week or so to happen.

However, I ended up selling the Cayman though an auction facility near me. Adesa is the name and they have facilities around the country. You might stop in at one nearest you and speak with the general manager and tell him your story and see if he can help you.

The way it worked for me was I had to have the car delivered to the auction facility and it was put on display to attract salvage car auction attention. This facility holds a salvage/wrecked car auction every week (the facility moves 90K cars a year!) and the wrecked Cayman S -- oh in speed yellow too -- was used as a "halo" car...

I was told that if the car sold I had 30 days to deliver a title or the buyer could back out of the purchase and could demand to be reimbursed for any "repairs" he had done. Since I was not sure how long the salvage title would take -- I needed a letter from the insurance company first and you know how slow they can be -- I waited until I had the title in hand and in fact I think I handed it to the GM of the auction facility and then gave him the go ahead to sell the car.

The next Wednesday the auction took place. Oh,if the price didn't reach my "reserve" ($17.4K) but I didn't have to accept the lower price. However, since it would have cost me money to move the car I would have let it go for something less and chalked it up to experience. Oh,not much less a few hundred dollars at most.

The salvage car auction started and at about half way through the sale (20 or more vehicles were being sold) the Cayman S came up and sold and for around $3K over the OK/Insurance company amount. (No surprise, really, auctions really get the juices flowing in some people.)

During the auction I kept a low profile but stayed near the auctioneer and off mic he asked me questions: Miles on car? Servicing (3 oil changes: I could just cry...); where/when bought, etc. He relayed what I told him to the crowd.

Anyhow the car sold. A full set of keys, manuals, etc went with the car.

A few days later I was told a check was ready to pick up and I picked it up. At the same time I offered to pay a selling fee but the GM refused.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Craig's list... eBay?
BOB W - Sunday, 7 October, 2012, at 7:07:37 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login