Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Weird noise coming from factory subwoofers
svslerxst - Sunday, 7 October, 2012, at 4:14:15 pm
Hi All,

I haven't been around here much the last few years, since my Boxster has been largely trouble free and life just seems to get in the way at times...

A couple of days ago, my '06 Boxster with stock audio system (CDR24 head unit, no CD changer) began making really strange sounds, coming from the subwoofers. The noise was reminiscent of a low-bass frequency test sweep and is uncorrelated to the music being played. In fact, even with the head unit turned off, the noise still occurs! Talk about annoying. I did find that the nature of the noise seemed to be affected by other electrical systems. For example, with the head unit off, the nature of the noise changed if I turned on the hazard flashers. Very strange.

I ended up having to pull the fuse for the subwoofers to get the noise to stop.

While I'm certain this indicates a trip to my dealer is in order, I'm curious if anyone here has experienced anything like this with their stock audio system. Just wondering what I might be in for repair and cost-wise.

Thanks,

Dan W.
Sounds like electrical interference
Boxsterra - Sunday, 7 October, 2012, at 9:01:55 pm
If your car is stock, chances are this is a design flaw and if they use the Porsche knowledge base they should be able to track it down fairly quickly.
I was going to guess a failing power supply capacitor *NM*
grant - Monday, 8 October, 2012, at 8:53:56 am
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Weird noise coming from factory subwoofers
chrismmm - Monday, 8 October, 2012, at 7:03:07 pm
check the right front floor board and make sure you dont have water there. happened to me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login