Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
at the base of my 02 Boxster's windshield.

Well, I bought a new one some few weeks (or more) back -- it arrived at the dealer in the biggest box ever which proved to be full of inflated plastic bags to protect the fragile piece.-- but I do not have the time to install it (dealing with elderly parents and a sister who has been in the hospital now since Jan 21 (and who came out of a 10 hour surgery just fine last night at about 7:15pm!) -- so when I dropped the Boxster off today at the dealer to have its oil/filter service done, I asked that the cowl cover be replaced at the same time.

Oh, and I ordered another set of key modules/heads: I've worn out a 2 or maybe a 3 -- I can't remember -- key modules.

About that oil/filter service... I've been a bad boy and let the oil go to 6K miles instead of its usual 5K miles. Car now has just over 260K miles on its odometer.

I'm even too busy to pick up Mobil 1 5w-50 oil so the dealer will be using oil from the oil gun in the service bay: Mobil 1 0w-40. Its "winter" almost here in the Livermore area so 0w-40 I think "appropriate"...

Sincerely,

MarcW.
sounds like you are focusing on the right things
Hope your sister continues to do well, Marc, and best wishes to you while going through all this.
Three points, Marc....
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, at 4:58:08 pm
MarcW
...dealing with elderly parents and a sister who has been in the hospital now since Jan 21 (and who came out of a 10 hour surgery just fine last night at about 7:15pm!) .

Oh, and I ordered another set of key modules/heads: I've worn out a 2 or maybe a 3....

....Its "winter" almost here in the Livermore area so 0w-40 I think "appropriate"...

MarcW.

1. Glad to learn your sister is doing better, and hope your parents are hanging in there. thumbs up

2. Do you, or someone, have a link on how to repair an old tired key module/head? Pictures were once posted, but I can't find them. confused smiley

3. Does the Livermore area really suffer through winter? winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
MarcW
...dealing with elderly parents and a sister who has been in the hospital now since Jan 21 (and who came out of a 10 hour surgery just fine last night at about 7:15pm!) .

Oh, and I ordered another set of key modules/heads: I've worn out a 2 or maybe a 3....

....Its "winter" almost here in the Livermore area so 0w-40 I think "appropriate"...

MarcW.

1. Glad to learn your sister is doing better, and hope your parents are hanging in there. thumbs up

2. Do you, or someone, have a link on how to repair an old tired key module/head? Pictures were once posted, but I can't find them. confused smiley

3. Does the Livermore area really suffer through winter? winking smiley

but getting more frail it seems every day. They still wear me out though. Shopping. Doctor appointments. More shopping. More doctor appointments. Plus I have two houses to get ready to sell. God only knows when I'll find the time to do that.

Got a big scare the other day. My apartment is just a hundred or so feet from their apartment. Heard lots of sirens, big fire trucks, etc and they all were close and stopping close by. Too close. Dashed out to check on my parents thinking the worst and seeing all the emergency vehicles were gathered at the building where my mom and dad have an apartment believing the worst had happened.

Mom and dad were ok. In fact everyone was ok.

The emergency vehicles were there because of this:

A neighbor of theirs a man about my dad's age (93) got confused in his new pickup truck and shot forward in the parking space and careened around and smashed into the wall of the building right next to his place and his place is right next to my mom and dad's place.

No fuel leak, no utility damage, but it could have been much worse. I walk my mom in that area every day before work and after.

When I had a key module with a bad button I had a tech here at work unsolder one from a older bad key module I had and unsolder the bad one from the good module and solder the salvaged one on and that fixed the module.

The only other thing I've done to "repair" one is to remove the battery or even flip over and install it to cure a particularly locked up key module RF chip/circuit.

Livermore experiences rather mild winters. A few years ago I woke up one winter morning to find a light dusting of snow on my Boxster but most of the time the weather is just wet and cool, seldom even getting cold enough to frost things. I do not have an ice scraper in either of the cars.

Truth be known I much prefer Livermore winters. It gets blasted hot here in the summer and I do not like the heat or humidity.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Glad to hear that you sister is getting better, Marc.

I know it takes a lot to look after aging parents. When I used to take my mom to appointments and shopping, she used to say, "How am I ever going to pay you back". I'd always reply, "I'm just getting even." smiling smiley

I'm sure you parents and sister really appreciate what you're doing for them.

Just remember to look after yourself too. It's important.
Gary, here is my post on refurbing an old key head....
jg wnc - Thursday, 11 October, 2012, at 10:40:15 am
Part numbers and process are in my post toward the bottom of the thread. Very easy and much cheaper than a new key head!

[pedrosboard.com]
Thanks, JG....that helps a lot smileys with beer *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 11 October, 2012, at 5:17:34 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login