Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
981 vs 991 - Manuals
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 13 October, 2012, at 11:09:39 am
This should make Gary happy - a short instrumented test of the 991 compared to the 981 - both with manual sticks. Check out the last paragraph where it says:

"The 911 Carrera coupe, with the seven-speed manual, runs  to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds. The Boxster S, powered by a 315-hp version of the same 3.4-liter engine, ran it in 4.4 seconds. More remarkable, they both clock 12.9 seconds at 111 mph through the quarter-mile. Even up to 150 mph, the 911 pulls ahead of its little brother by only 1.2 seconds."

[www.caranddriver.com]

Don't know - but would guess that if this were strictly an "apples to apples" comparison (i.e., 981S vs 991 Cab), the 981 would have won - at least int eh "drag strip" numbers. OTOH, this says nothing about the relative handling of the two cars - both great cars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 11:10AM by Lawdevil & CURVN8R. (view changes)
Re: 981 vs 991 - Manuals
Laz - Saturday, 13 October, 2012, at 12:25:29 pm
One of the more perceptive comments (paraphrased) says the 6 speed manual is more optimal than the 7 speed manual (concerning ratios, I think.) It also has single purpose construction as opposed to the 7's shared elements with the PDK. The 6 is a bit lighter, too, although the Torque Vectoring option's LSD likely adds that weight back; something like 4 pounds. The less valuable comment(s) bring up the Mustang comparison. Go ahead, benighted soul: just look at performance numbers and dollars, and buy yourself the Mustang.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 12:28PM by Laz. (view changes)
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 13 October, 2012, at 12:32:16 pm
Also interesting is the 4.4 second 0-60 time for a manual - certainly better than Porsche's published figures. I would guess possibly 4.3 or 4.2 for PDK with launch control. Just for the heck of it, I tried launch control the other day - works pretty well, although as a practical matter I can't see much utility to it unless you are a drag-racer.
Gary in SoFL - Saturday, 13 October, 2012, at 9:15:28 pm
Just possible Porsche understates the MANual times and overstates the PDK times just a bit to get that extra $4,000, just like pushing you to those 20" wheels. There's a reason Porsche is so profitable winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 13 October, 2012, at 10:29:00 pm
Gary in SoFL
Just possible Porsche understates the MANual times and overstates the PDK times just a bit to get that extra $4,000, just like pushing you to those 20" wheels. There's a reason Porsche is so profitable winking smiley

Could be - but most of the 3d party reviewers have found the PDK just a bit quicker - but not much. No reason to disagree since the PDK does indisputably shift quicker than any human being (even you, Gary!). Also, the almost worthless launch control (unless you are into drag racing) probably provides an extra tenth or so. Lets face it, Gary, you just enjoy playing with your stick!
Gary in SoFL - Sunday, 14 October, 2012, at 11:01:46 am
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
Gary in SoFL

Could be - but most of the 3d party reviewers have found the PDK just a bit quicker - but not much. No reason to disagree since the PDK does indisputably shift quicker than any human being (even you, Gary!). Also, the almost worthless launch control (unless you are into drag racing) probably provides an extra tenth or so. Lets face it, Gary, you just enjoy playing with your stick!

True, but most of those 3rd party reviewers relied on the Porsche numbers.

As you well know, Mike, after many years of practice, playing with your stick is a mandatory relief and joy. winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: 981 vs 991 - Wheels
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 14 October, 2012, at 4:27:45 pm
just like pushing you to those 20" wheels.

Yikes! I just spent a bit <$2k replacing my 19" feet. What will those 20" tires cost to replace?

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Re: 981 vs 991 - Wheels
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Sunday, 14 October, 2012, at 4:53:48 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio
just like pushing you to those 20" wheels.

Yikes! I just spent a bit <$2k replacing my 19" feet. What will those 20" tires cost to replace?

According to Tirerack, probably around $2k after shipping. Still can't figure out why the Pirelli fronts are $260 each less than the rears ($568), while the Michelins are around $450 each, front and back. Total for four comes out fairly close, though.
Not really. The idea is to compare a top of the line Boxster S convertible with the "Base" 911 Cab- . A comparison of a Cayman S with a base 911 would be interesting as well. Not much doubt a 911S would significantly outperform any Boxster. After all, that extra $36,000 does buy an extra 85 hp.
Re: Wouldn't "apples to apples" mean 981S vs 991S? winking smiley
Gary in SoFL - Saturday, 13 October, 2012, at 9:12:28 pm
TheFarmer
n/t
3.4L vs 3.8L......more like apple sauce winking smiley

db997S - Monday, 15 October, 2012, at 2:13:23 pm
One thing that is good about the seven-speed is the "overdrive" for highway driving helps with overall MPG, which, let's face it, all auto companies must now keep an eye on increasing as much as possible. I'd bet dollars to donuts that most of these cars see more highway miles than track miles anyway, so, the seven-speed is the way to go from a corporate perspective. For the 911 to reach its fastest mph, though, they keep it in sixth gear, not seventh. In any event buy your Boxster six speeds soon, because it is probably only a matter of time that all Porsches will get the seventh gear to save costs and inch that overall company-wide MPG ever so higher.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login