Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Background: 2001 986S, with factory PSE exhaust added around 2005, pneumatic not installed, so running 'loud' all the time.

Goal: Overall car weight reduction for autocross

Actions to date: installed smaller battery, remove spare tire, using BBS RS-GT wheels instead of factory 18". Total reduction: ~100lbs

Next step: Given that the factory PSE weighs about ~50lbs and is hanging out the back of the car, I'm thinking a lighter exhaust would make a real improvement (~20lbs?). However, after trying variants of the two-piece kind, each with horrible 3k rpm resonance, I've stopped the experiment, unscientifically concluding that all *two piece* designs exhibit this syndrome (perhaps because of lack of a crossover pipe to cancel the harmonics). Has anybody found anything to disprove my theory, or interested in creating a test system (Pedro?)

- JohnL
Boston
I did the same search, and concluded I'd wait for Cindy Crawford and Claudia Schiffer, both provocatively attired, to drop by my place some Friday evening with the right one. So far, no sign of them.

I can only conclude that the exhaust hasn't yet been designed/manufactured. grinning smiley
I have read that the latest version of the Fabspeed 986 exhaust sounds great and does not have resonance, but have no personal experience. Seen some guys on 986forum who claim this.
I noticed the Fabspeed setup has the crossover pipe, so that may be what's required. Unfortunately I'm current using Dansk headers and rear cats (no front cats), so his setup does't work for me... pity. The quest goes on....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login