Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Pedro's Throttle Body Installed! Dyno tomorrow....
Blair206 - Wednesday, 17 October, 2012, at 5:16:49 pm
fingers crossed! lol

Re: Pedro's Throttle Body Installed! Dyno tomorrow....
jlegelis - Wednesday, 17 October, 2012, at 7:13:11 pm
Nice! Did you baseline on the dyno beforehand?
Blair206 - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 2:15:01 pm

Blue line is today.

Red baseline ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 02:40PM by Blair206. (view changes)
Baseline ?????
Blair206 - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 2:35:51 pm
I have a dyno from earlier @ 225. With age I can't quite remember the time line but I think 225 was with 91 octane fuel and 229 was with 93. Both with the chip from "Powerchip".
Never did a baseline before that, which was sad because I don't think the chip did much. Any how it did give me a base line for future mods.

Since last Dyno I did the following :

Pedro's engine mount (mine was toast)

BMC Air Fliter

Fabspeed Cat-Backs

Pedro's Throttle Body and Chip.

BBI under drive pulley

Giving me a gain of 11.7 hp at the wheels, about 14 hp at the crank.

Today in Atlanta it was 66 degrees and 93% humidity. I did the dyno last year around this time, but can't remember the weather. One more thing I just drove back from Texas and don't remember what Octane I used at every stop! I was at a 1/4 tank when I filled up at BP with 93 before dyno.
So did the original chip work ? Did I have some 91 octane in the tank ? 93% humidity ??? Weather last year ?
Lots of variables to say the least. I think I'll will go back after another tank of gas, on a 50% humidity day and cross out that those varibles, just for piece of mind. Either way I'm up to 284hp (15% loss = 241hp) and a nice flat power band. The Dyno guy was impressed, he had a 2001 S in 215 hp !!
MikenOH - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 2:42:23 pm
Blair:
I think I missed this earlier--what year is your car?
Blair206 - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 2:39:37 pm
In the end my car came out the factory 8yrs and 55,000 miles ago with 264 hp on a standard day. All that time and miles later it's hitting 284 hp on a humid day in Atlanta. the finger smiley smileys with beer
MikenOH - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 2:43:33 pm
Got it--those are great numbers
Blair206 - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 2:59:22 pm
You think Mike ?
I was hoping for more smiling smiley

The air flow does get a little restricted by the engine bay rim, when making the 90' turn coming out of the TB towards the air box. There is just not much room to play with.
MikenOH - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 6:27:30 pm
Blair206
You think Mike ?
I was hoping for more smiling smiley

The air flow does get a little restricted by the engine bay rim, when making the 90' turn coming out of the TB towards the air box. There is just not much room to play with.

If you look at the things you've done since the last dyno--excluding Pedro's TB and chip--I don't think any of those add a lot, including the catback. IIRC, there is a video out from Fabspeed showing a 3RWHP gain with just the catback and stock header. Additionally,Scott Slawson of Softronic doesn't think there are any gains from low restriction filters like K&N or BMC; the UDP is worth maybe 3-5HP(?).

From what I've read, the big HP gains are from the addition of long tube header setups like Fabspeed. Having said that, 284 HP at the crank is a significant bump from where you were when stock (258HP?).

Regarding better airflow, I'm thinking the 987 filter has been adapted on the 986/996 for improvement but I think your SE already had that design built in--right?
Blair206 - Friday, 19 October, 2012, at 8:53:26 am
Mike

Yes the 987 air box was already in the car. Kind of threw Pedro and I when we did the TB install. The TB made a nice bump, it's breathing in well now. It is quite noticeable across the power band yet still gives good mpg. It sounds better too when you get on it while not droning at highway speeds. I'd be quite happy to leave it where it is. Fabspeed headers with cats are $2295 plus install! Not cheap. I also want to go back after another tank of BP 93 gas to make sure there was no 91 in there.
For me the TB was a great mod, nice hp bump, great power band, improved sound and no drone.

Blair
MikenOH - Friday, 19 October, 2012, at 9:29:38 am
Blair206
Mike

Yes the 987 air box was already in the car. Kind of threw Pedro and I when we did the TB install. The TB made a nice bump, it's breathing in well now. It is quite noticeable across the power band yet still gives good mpg. It sounds better too when you get on it while not droning at highway speeds. I'd be quite happy to leave it where it is. Fabspeed headers with cats are $2295 plus install! Not cheap. I also want to go back after another tank of BP 93 gas to make sure there was no 91 in there.
For me the TB was a great mod, nice hp bump, great power band, improved sound and no drone.

Blair

Blair:
Glad to hear you're happy with the results.
A bump in TQ and HP across a broad portion of the power band makes the biggest impact on daily driving since you're probably not cruising in the 5K+ rpm range on a regular basis.
Blair206 - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 2:56:26 pm
My car is a 2004 S 550 SE
You should be getting ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 4:54:40 pm
... a bit more HP.

Your intake is fine, even with the crushed elbow.
In order to get the max out of the TechnoPower Kit you need equal length headers and a free-er flowing exhaust.
The cats don't do much unless the exhaust can flow out some more gas.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Exhaust
Blair206 - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 5:39:08 pm
I agree Pedro but the sports cats are so expensive!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login