Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[youtu.be]

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Nice introduction to maintenance access.
Laz - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 10:19:26 am
It'd be even better with more in-between steps, kind of like what the Underpants Gnomes need:
[www.alaskacommons.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 10:19AM by Laz. (view changes)
Thanks Mike, That sure answers some of those access questions people have been wondering about for the new 981.

Interesting that the DME is now back in the trunk instead of under the seats. That seems like a good move to protect agains flooding. Good that you can change the air filters from the trunk.

Still a bit unclear about getting the top into service position. Not sure what Gunter did on the inside, but it seems not too complicated to raise the back of the top for engine access.
The DME has never been under the seat ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 11:43:17 am
... it's always been in the rear trunk, since MY 97 through today.
What's under the driver's seat is the CLU (Central Locking Unit) which controls the Immobilizer feature, the power windows, soft top, power locks and alarm.
That's still there as well.
The overall engineering is about the same.
The one big change is that now the engine breathes in from both air intakes, hence the dual air filters.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: The DME has never been under the seat ...
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 1:23:37 pm
Live and learn. smiling smiley

Thanks for straighening that out for me. Pedro.
As if Lawdevil EVER gets his hands dirty winking smiley Here's a diagram for you:

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
on a 981, if you have intakes on both sides. Say you come in on a hot day and you either stop or idle...the fan on the right of a 986 would go on and you'd get the hot air trapped in the engine compartment out the side. How is that function now done?
Re: So how do you exhaust hot air from the engine compartment?
MikenOH - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 12:17:09 pm
Good question; can't say I seen anything put out by either Porsche or the automotive press on this subject.

BTW, the surface area of that single filter looks close to the stock 987 single filter.
With two filters, the new engines must need to move a lot more air.
MikenOH
Good question; can't say I seen anything put out by either Porsche or the automotive press on this subject.

BTW, the surface area of that single filter looks close to the stock 987 single filter.
With two filters, the new engines must need to move a lot more air.

I believe there's both an intake for the engine and exhaust fan on each side now. I would think that would help even out the temperature on each side of the engine compartment.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Thanks for posting it , Mike--very informative *NM*
MikenOH - Thursday, 18 October, 2012, at 12:10:02 pm
Thanks for posting. Informative and a bit of YIKES...ah for the days of popping the hood and diving in. In part it looks like it is designed to strongly encourage having it serviced by Porsche at what I would anticipate will be higher rates than the 987s. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 08:02PM by jwdbox. (view changes)
jwdbox
...ah for the days of popping the hood and diving in. . cool smiley

Ahhh - yes I remember possping the hood and staring at those S.U. carbs - yechhhthumbs down
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login