Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[www.huffingtonpost.com]

I've personally never encountered any of these red-light cameras, but I'm totally willing to believe they cause more harm than good and are just another form of invasive revenue-enhancement. I don't go running red lights (on purpose), but I would sure be PO'd if I got a ticket in the mail from committing a rolling-right-turn violation when there was zero traffic around. Just sayin'....
Re: NBC: Clever red light camera neutralizing device
CarreraLicious - Friday, 26 October, 2012, at 5:45:04 am
I got hit with one of these tickets when I used to live in NYC. Got a ticket in the mail with a pic of my car in middle of the intersection. I could swear that the light was yellow, as I passed slowly in traffic (on west side highway), but guess not. No points on your license, as they can't prove it's you driving the car, but they get a nice $50 check. I'm not that against it, as once word spreads, it does make other crazy drivers more wary of running red lights.
db997S - Wednesday, 31 October, 2012, at 9:16:57 am
The light probably was yellow. Some cities make their yellow lights shorter when it is tied to a camera. The shorter the yellow, the more tickes which in turns means mo money for the city and the company that owns the camera. These are more of a revenue producer for the companies that own them as they typically get a cute of the fines collected.
CarreraLicious - Friday, 2 November, 2012, at 6:33:17 am
Probably was. I noticed a distinct difference between the drivers in NYC at these camera lights vs the folks in NJ where I live now. In NJ, when there's a yellow light, the driver just keeps going whereas the driver in NYC just stops hard at the yellow. Lol
newt - Friday, 26 October, 2012, at 5:53:29 pm
I like the idea of keeping Big Brother at bay whenever possible, but at $350 per unit, it will take a lot of red light runnin' to break even on this investment.
Group buy? grinning smiley *NM*
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Saturday, 27 October, 2012, at 8:28:55 am
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Ruby - Sunday, 28 October, 2012, at 2:05:17 pm
Unfortunately I have been "caught" or should I say ticketed twice. First was in the City of Boynton Beach where they have set up cameras up and down Congress Ave a main thoroughfare. When I received the ticket I was back in NY. They give you a link to view a video in addition to a picture and I was clearly not even close going through a yellow light. Checked it out recently and it's impossible to get through the intersection once it changes. Cost was $158 and could only appeal in person. The second was in Huntington Station on Long Island. Made a right turn on a red after stopping. It's allowed but they sent ticket. Cost was $50 which is what my cost would have been with tolls and gas to fight it. These cameras are clearly money makers and handled by outside agencies. The NY papers have been writing up pn them recently due to the timing of these lights. For the right price I would buy one of these devices but $450 a bit pricey.
Re: NBC: Clever red light camera
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 28 October, 2012, at 3:31:27 pm
I know the person who wrote the policy and procedures for Cleveland to use them. Unless something has changed, their red light cameras also track your speed, so if you run a light, you are also probably speeding and will get two tickets. He described the revenue generated as being "like printing your own money".

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 10:58AM by Laz. (view changes)
Aside from possible municipality/county restrictions,
Laz - Saturday, 3 November, 2012, at 2:48:02 pm
they're illegal only in VA and DC.

And one source shows: "They're legal in the following Canadian provinces as well: Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan. On US military bases, they are legal to have but illegal to use."

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login