Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Trailer Hitch ??
Bob O - Friday, 2 November, 2012, at 5:21:53 pm
Well I finally did it. I cleaned out the storage locker and it's amazing how much room I now have! LOL So......I bought a set of pretty nice track wheels and the tires are soon to be on order. The problem is...I need a trailer. Actually I need to find a hitch. The Harbor Freight trailer that I've seen on here and elsewhere seems to be perfect. BUT...there's a definite lack of HITCH info around. I've done a search but not much helpful comes up. The Willwood site seems to be unresponsive. I've read about, and my mechanic tells me he knows of, one that attaches to the bumperette fittings (after removing the bumperettes of course). But I can't find anything about them in my net searches and he doesn't remember the name of it.

Does anyone know what the bumperette hitch might be and who sells it?. I'm not really inclined to start drilling holes in the bumper, even if it is behind the license plate. It seems that, as of now anyway, the only ones out there (at least that I can find) require you to do that, but I've pretty much eliminated those from the list.

What did (would) you use and is it still available? Instructions would be good too. Pictures even better!!! smiling smiley

Thanks for the help

Bob
Re: Trailer Hitch ??
SMILIN - Friday, 2 November, 2012, at 11:51:47 pm
I can't recall what name this hitch was commonly called back in the day...I think it came with the SouthSport trailer, but I bought it used so I am not sure. This works well with the 986...not sure about other models. To install you remove the bumperettes, drill a hole in each side, then you use one existing hole and your new hole on each side to mount the thing. You can't have the bumperettes installed with the hitch installed, unmodified.

[boxster.devetter.net]

[boxster.devetter.net]
Bob O - Saturday, 3 November, 2012, at 8:42:02 am
That looks like what I was imagining. Remove the bumperettes, which is pretty easy, install the hitch to the attachment points and you're done. I can't find anything similar to that currently for sale though. I might end up having to make one.
check your private messages.... *NM*
SMILIN - Saturday, 3 November, 2012, at 8:40:25 pm
Dave In MD - Saturday, 3 November, 2012, at 11:46:03 am
There are several, but I've been using the Willwood dual receiver hitch for the past few years. I bought a used HF trailer and hitch from someone who was moving to a car on trailer arrangement. There's more info on the hitch here: Willwood

I've seen a lot of different set ups for the trailer. Look around the Web and you'll find lots of examples. Mines pretty simple - used a piece of 1/2 inch plywood as the platform, screwed a tool chest to it and put some eye bolts in to anchor the track tires.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Bob O - Saturday, 3 November, 2012, at 4:23:49 pm
Thanks Dave: The trailer isn't too much a concern. I've narrowed it down to the HF small trailer onto which I'll probably attach painted plywood with tiedown hooks for the tires and a toolbox. The problem is the hitch. I've seen the Willwood site and sent him an email to get more info, but haven't heard back. The only other ones I've seen require putting a hinge on the license plate and cutting a hole in the bumper under the plate, or cutting two holes on either side of the license plate to access a mounting point. Neither of those options are acceptable to me.

Thanks for the info. Your setup looks very nice.

Bob
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 3 November, 2012, at 5:19:04 pm
At one time I had a very simple setup made from scrap material I found in PedrosGarage.
It may not have been very pretty, but it worked for several years:

[i83.photobucket.com]

[i83.photobucket.com]

[i83.photobucket.com]

[i83.photobucket.com]

I now have a newer (chromed and more stylish piece).
I'll take a picture soon.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
New Hitch here...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 3 November, 2012, at 5:30:49 pm
[i83.photobucket.com]

[i83.photobucket.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Mark from SC - Tuesday, 6 November, 2012, at 7:15:42 am
I bought this one, used however. I think he has been going through some medical issues, and hasn't been selling them lately, but I haven't checked. May want to send him an email. Very similar to what Pedro shows. I have mine, but haven't done the 'install work' yet. Got to do that this winter, to get ready for track season next year!

Willwood Trailer Hitch
Bob O - Tuesday, 6 November, 2012, at 7:55:00 am
I sent an email last week to Willwood but haven't heard back yet. Pedro's design looks just like what I want and I've got a lead on one for sale so maybe.........
SMILIN - Tuesday, 6 November, 2012, at 10:07:01 pm
Hi Bob,

I don't seem to be having much luck with private messages. If you'd like to follow up on the hitch, send me an email to boxster devetter {dot} net

There's no hurry on my part, so feel free to explore the willwood hitch, even if it takes some time.

Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login