Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
... wonder no more:

[www.youtube.com]

Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
So why the heck won't they produce silver ones? *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 12 November, 2012, at 4:54:49 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: So why the heck won't they produce silver ones?
Eric in Dallas - Friday, 16 November, 2012, at 9:01:43 am
I bought a silver one when I de-ambered my car 10 years ago. Can't remember where I got it......
Re: So why the heck won't they produce silver ones?
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 16 November, 2012, at 1:09:02 pm
Eric in Dallas
I bought a silver one when I de-ambered my car 10 years ago. Can't remember where I got it......

Yeah....me too, from Eagle Day here in Ft. Lauderdale.

Point is that Porsche neither condones nor makes silver crests.

There are hand painted ones around and some others, with folks charging anywhere from about $65 to well over $200. Good luck figuring out the difference, other than the cost. sad smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Luckily silver ones are widely available
Boxsterra - Saturday, 17 November, 2012, at 10:45:17 am
I got one on eBay many years ago and it has held up far better than the original stock one. I think I paid about $150 for it.
It it's metal...
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Monday, 12 November, 2012, at 5:50:11 pm
...then why is it dangerous to press on the crest to close the front trunk lid? I always figured that warning was due to the fact the crest is made of plastic and would break...
Re: It it's metal...
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 12 November, 2012, at 8:55:22 pm
It is made of metal. It's the 2 tabs that attach it to the trunk that can break off if you push on the crest. The salesman suggested the best way to close the trunk is push down on the front with the back part of your palm. It's worked for me for almost 7 years now.
Isn't the 986/987 hood sheet metal behind the crest unreinforced?
Laz - Thursday, 15 November, 2012, at 10:58:23 am
Sheet metal distortion could eventually occur with less than ginger closings. Perhaps that and possible distortion of the crest itself could cause it to loosen. The 981 hood is reinforced behind the crest, but pushing down adjacent to the hood's leading edge just below the crest is the safest method.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
I thought they were made by Black Forest Elves, and only during a blue moon. I stand corrected.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Metal hood crest vs. faded plastic wheel crests
Bobtesa - Tuesday, 13 November, 2012, at 10:28:39 am
The metal hood crests seem to be build well and to last forever. But, my over-priced plastic wheel crests have faded. Is there a DIY method or a place that refurbishes the plastic wheel crests?
Typically the wheel crests haze over and can be polished
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 13 November, 2012, at 10:35:35 pm
using any plastic polish. Surprisingly, they come back to life after looking faded and awful.
Um....there are a few silver ones around. smiling smiley
Eric (Plug Guy) - Wednesday, 14 November, 2012, at 8:33:00 pm
Right here ---> CLICK the order page.

What's amazing is the impression left by this video that such assuming high quality comes from what we believe is outstanding craftsmanship.

Believe that? Take a very close look at most of these crests. They really ARE made by hand, and it shows - there are imperfections on most, though from a few feet away they look fine. Ton of work in them. Guess that's why they tripled in price over the years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login