Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Dog-eared parcel shelf carpet
jlegelis - Monday, 12 November, 2012, at 8:19:07 pm
The rear shelf carpet on my '01 986 has become dog eared (see pic) on both passenger and driver side. Wondering if anybody else has seen this, or addressed it? I'm guessing it's due to age (perhaps the carpet and foam backing have expanded / shrunk at different rates, cause curvature). I tried using adhesive backed velcro, but the glue let go after a short period. Any collective wisdom?

Thanks,
JohnL
Boston

It's not in backwards is it?
986rgt - Friday, 16 November, 2012, at 4:52:42 pm
It almost looks like it is, might be worth a shot.

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Re: Dog-eared parcel shelf carpet
Charlie (Sacramento CA) - Saturday, 17 November, 2012, at 3:07:41 pm
Hi John! Hope you are doing well.

My '04 has the same issue, not just lifting but a good inch(!) of carpet shrinkage. In my case it is from the middle rather than the edges.

Curiously there are a couple plastic clips that I removed from that area, not knowing what they were for - now I think I know that must been a late 986 partial fix to try to slow down the issue.

No cure I can see short of replacing the carpet. At least it is hardly noticeable.

Charlie
Re: Dog-eared parcel shelf carpet
jlegelis - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 3:57:11 pm
Thanks all (Charlie!) - it's definitely not in backwards. A friend of mine is a professor of fashion at a local college... she's always dealing with interesting textile constructions / issues. I'll give her a ping and report back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login