Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
SOMETHING'S RATTLING BACK THERE
babamoto - Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, at 2:14:12 pm
Friends,
Still enjoying my 2000 Boxster @96K. One thing, though, that kinda bugs me is this rattle I've developed from, I think, the exhaust system. Someone in the neighborhood passed by the house in their Boxster the other day, and he too had this rattle.
My indy garage, said it could be the cats, and had a tech pound of them a little while with a rubber mallet. The rattle is still there. I remember ChrisNH on PPBB posted about some shielding making a rattling sound on his box, but I can't find him or his illustrated posts anymore.
My wife kinda summed up the rattle a couple of weekends ago as we were passing thru an echo-y alley: "That sound is a disgrace to Porsche." Hm. ;^ (
Anyway, just wanted to say "hello."
DB in Los Angeles
Re: SOMETHING'S RATTLING BACK THERE
NuovaZeta - Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, at 7:03:15 pm
My advice, get it checked out. I had a slight rattle in mine for a few weeks that just tonight turned into a big rattle and when I parked the car there was steam coming from one of the side vents and a clear slipery fluid emptying out under the engine :-(
Re: SOMETHING'S RATTLING BACK THERE
babamoto - Saturday, 24 November, 2012, at 4:24:22 am
NuovaZeta
My advice, get it checked out. I had a slight rattle in mine for a few weeks that just tonight turned into a big rattle and when I parked the car there was steam coming from one of the side vents and a clear slipery fluid emptying out under the engine :-(

NZ, the only steam is coming outta my ears when I think about the rattling. Good luck with your car.
It's almost definitely a heat shield
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, at 7:07:04 pm
There are several. The bolts rust out.
Re: It's almost definitely a heat shield
babamoto - Saturday, 24 November, 2012, at 4:26:14 am
Hi, Boxterra!
IIRC, others have removed the wooden(?) rear trunk flooring to view the shields, right?
Weekend project.
Thanks for your input.

Baba
The rear trunk is ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 24 November, 2012, at 8:08:02 am
... sealed and removing the floorboards will not get you access to the exhaust.
The only way to find out if its the heat shields that are rattling is to get under the car.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: The rear trunk is ....
babamoto - Sunday, 25 November, 2012, at 5:05:26 am
Thanks, Pedro
As Pedro says shields are accessible only from under the car
Boxsterra - Saturday, 24 November, 2012, at 9:06:04 am
There are wooden panels in the rear trunk from which people have occasionally reported a clunking sound. But it is not a rattle and it is much less common than the heat shield rattle which happens to almost everyone.

It is possible to reach the rearmost heatshields without even jacking up the car. Be very careful though because they go around the cats which get very hot and stay that way for a long time. You can often find the problem by tapping each cat with a rubber mallet (don't need to go crazy with it) and the rattle will usually happen.
Boxsterra, I'm going in...or under... Sunday at sunrise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login