Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Motul oil
Bobtesa - Monday, 3 December, 2012, at 4:35:52 pm
There have been plenty of discussions here about various aspect of oils for Porsches. I'm not trying to open a Pandora's box again, but looking for an answer to a simple question. (Is that possible about oil?) Folks have posted lists of acceptable oils by manufactures, etc, but I can remember it all. Is Motul an ok oil to use in a Boxster? I hope it's a simple yes or no. Thanks

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
I don't have the 2012 List of Approved Oils, but on the 2011 one Porche has:
MOTUL 8100X-cess 5W-40
MOTUL 8100X-clean 5W-40
MOTUL Synergie 5W-40

Here's the complete list: [pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Short answer: yes. Longer answer:
grant - Tuesday, 4 December, 2012, at 7:56:58 am
Motul has an excellent reputation. The real key is ensuring the right grade *for your use*.

5w40 is usable almost anywhere, but can be light for track use in hot weather.

Any oil you put in, assuming you actually use the car, should meet the european spec for high performance:

ACEA A3/B4

In hotter climates i might use 10w40 or even 15w50

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
the oil is approved by Porsche.

Or if you prefer to get ]your oil info from Porsche swing by your Porsche dealer and speak with the SM who should put you in touch with a friendly tech who then should print out a copy of the current list of approved oils. It runs about 4 to 6 pages, single sided, IIRC. Or instead of the entire document just the Motul oil section. Based on what Pedro posted and my memory of having looked over a more recent approved oils list there are only 3 or 4 Motul oils approved out of the who knows how many different blends/viscosity combinations of Motul oils there are.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login