Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Update......

Ok, thanx all for the help with my 2009 car search. In this process, I am learning a few things... or am I? Feedback please.

From various sources, I am learning that Porsche auction prices are not only holding hard, they are rising a bit. Really? I am hearing that from a few sources..... are they throwing sales BS at me?

I stopped into my local Porsche dealer the other day, and he still had my card sitting right in front of him.... I thought he forgot about me. He said they just don't have any cars and they are crazy busy right now. Really? Low used car inventory? I will say that I could not find a place to park in their lot and there were a bunch of people milling about in there. Does anyone know that sports cars don't sell in the winter and xmas week to boot? Also, on my online searches, dealerships have almost nothing of what I am looking for: '09 911 6-speed manual, no silver.

I found a car I like with 17K miles on it (stripped basic).... non-Porsche dealer is advertising $59,9 on the 'net. Someone "knowledgeable" thinks $55 is a fair price.... really? My buddy just purchased a 3 year old BMW 3 series in Virginia from a non-BMW dealer and they came down exactly $10K over what they had advertised on the 'net. Huh? Any opinions on this one. His car is in fantastic shape by the way.

Now I just spoke to my broker who said there is much dumping of stock in the equity markets lately, particularly of stock that had big run ups over the last few years.... speculation is that they are taking profits before tax increases next year (increasing of capital gains). (Therefore, I am now buying into the market's depressed stock prices.) Now it is then possible, that folks are buying cars now being flush with more cash.... just my speculation.... hey why not speculate, when just writing something on the 'net makes you an expert eh?

Another piece of data: 993s are selling like crazy, their prices are rising, and most of the sales are going to Germany...... did anyone hear about this? If so, and you have one, maybe you should hold on to it?

Some conflicting information about dealer CPO... I am hearing Porsche will not CPO a car not purchased there (but others say maybe). I have a call into my local dealer's F&I guy.... slow to respond. My friend who works for Ford, corporate, said that Ford now will CPO a car, still under warranty but ending, regardless of where the car was purchased. They don't advertise this. The reasons are two: 1) aftermarket warranty companies were making good money doing this and Ford wanted in on the action, and 2) Ford's cars are way better built now thus lowering their risk. He said you bring the car in, talk only to the F&I guy/gal, and they will charge you a fee for this inspection. They will charge you both for their work, but also for the check the dealer then must write to Ford corporate who then holds the disbursement monies (and the risk).

Just dumping some data I picked up over the last few days.

Bruce in Philly.
One more thing....
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Wednesday, 19 December, 2012, at 5:25:23 pm
Just got off the phone with my buddy from Ford.... he had an interesting statistic: The average age of a car and truck still on the road is older than it ever was since they started tracking this aspect. Ten years for cars, 14 years for trucks. That is old. He said two reasons: 1) cars are better built now, and 2) economic uncertainty.

He also is speculating as to why Porsche dealers have low used inventory... they buy used inventory from auctions as cars come off lease (a very big part of the auction business) to fill their inventories. If they feel auction prices are low, they are willing to buy and hold the inventory. If auction prices are too high, they don't want to get stuck with inventory particularly if prices then fall quickly. If they think they can make a big profit, they are willing to buy and hold cars but if they think profit is slim, they must move the inventory quickly and this represents more risk to them. Therefore, best to not buy action cars to fill used inventory if they think the auction prices are too high relative to what they can sell them for.

Hmmm........

Bruce
Re: Auction Prices..... Used car data....
whall - Wednesday, 19 December, 2012, at 6:31:37 pm
Bruce,

Having owned two CPO'ed Porsches, I feel emboldened to address the CPO situation. A Porsche CPO can only be issued by a Porsche dealer who has title to the car in question. A CPO (warranty) can be transferred from one private owner to another private owner. If a CPO'ed car is sold to a non-Porsche dealer, any remaining time on he warranty is voided. In other words , as far as dealers go, only a Porsche dealer can sell a previously CPO'ed car and have the warranty remain valid.

As far as third party warranties go, I'm not sure but I think most are transferable regardless of selling party.

Bill
MarcW - Wednesday, 19 December, 2012, at 8:19:14 pm
Everything a car salesman tells you is intended to get you buy the car as soon as possible and to pay as much for it as possible.

This includes auto brokers too.

At www.autotrader.com I just did a search for CPO 2009/2010 911s any distance from my ZIP and came up with 199 hits. That seems like a goodly number of cars for sale. This suggests to me the market is soft.

As for price it is an opinion not fact.

I can't speak to your buddy's purchase of a BMW.

All I can suggest to you is visit as many car sites as you can that supply a trade in, private and retail sale price estimate for the car you are looking at and assume all the seller has in it is its trade in value or that's all he can get for it in a quick sale.

How much over this you pay is between you and the seller.
MikenOH - Wednesday, 19 December, 2012, at 9:22:01 pm
Bruce:
There will be more 997.2 cars coming off leases as the year passes; stay in touch with several dealers regarding lease turn ins--they should know better than anybody when these cars will be coming back.

Don't be afraid to offer a significant amount below the asking price--all they car say is no. The recent Excellence issue had a few interesting stories on car prices--purchase prices vs. asking prices. Two 2009 C2s--with a lot of options, CPO and low miles were purchased for $59K; I'm thinking mid $50's should work on a car with additional miles
I used Cars.com and searched 500 miles of Philadelphia and came up with only 12 cars. 500 miles catches half of Ohio, North Carolina, and Massachusetts.

This is the search link:

[www.cars.com]

I searched 500 miles of Philly, Make=Porsche, Model = 911, Style=Carrera, Body Style = Coupe, Transmission=manual. If you include other models such as S, 4s, cabs, turbos etc, the numbers jump... but so do the prices.

If I eliminated silver/grey/white (4) colors I am not interested in, I am down to 8 possible cars and 5 of these are from Porsche dealers. I know this search did not catch them all as I know Intersport in McLean VA has two cars that did not pop up on this search.

I don't know, but I don't think 500 mile radius of Philadelphia producing just 12 cars constitutes plenty out there. Anyone know how I can catch them all? Be careful as some are calling PDK a manual transmission.

I did a search in South Florida and while it did pop up a few cars, the asking prices were, generally, much higher than what is popping up in my northern searches.

As Mike noted, 997.2 cars are coming off lease more and more so I suspect more inventory shortly.

Anyway, I am looking!!! and looking.......

Bruce
Besides Florida asking prices on the net being higher than what I find in searches here, a local dealer told me, when discussing a very low mileage '09 911 on his lot (we were sitting in it), they sent this car down south to catch a higher price. When it didn't sell, they brought it back. Interesting that they are shipping the car around to get a better price and they believed, for a while at least, that down south fetches higher prices.

Just a data point. Then again, dealers don't always tell you the truth.

Bruce
Marc, Marc, Marc....

La-la land cars driven by trophy wives, spoiled rotten entertainment industry folks, overpaid software designers, and the large criminal/drug element, just to name a few, and you dare to incorrectly denigrate Florida.

What the heck....the world ends today winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary, you're wrong.
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 21 December, 2012, at 8:33:58 am
At least we, in the frozen north, are still here. smiling bouncing smiley

PS, I think Marc was just secretly wanting you to post some pictures of some of those little old Florida ladies who drive Porsches. winking smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
That happens a lot grinning smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 21 December, 2012, at 11:20:14 am
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
cars are preferred. And it is not just Porsche dealers I hear this from.

While southern (and northern: SF bay area northern) CA cars don't see snow/ice they get big miles and spend a lot of time in traffic and are for these reasons less desirable.

As for the the things you mentioned I do not think FL is short of trophy wives, drug dealers and the like.
We've got to get you to Florida, if just to hear what dealers say about La-la land. Otherwise, you're spot on. smileys with beer

Very funny FL jokes guys -- although true. However, I will driving the Boxster to the golf course on Sunday and actually playing. Should be in the mid 70s and sunny.
Watch out for those drug dealers and little old people Marc mentioned, but I doubt they'll be up that early on Sunday grinning smiley

drinking smiley

The idea is you search nationwide and a span of years...
MarcW - Friday, 21 December, 2012, at 12:08:32 am
Bruce In Philly (2000S Morte)
I used Cars.com and searched 500 miles of Philadelphia and came up with only 12 cars. 500 miles catches half of Ohio, North Carolina, and Massachusetts.

This is the search link:

[www.cars.com]

I searched 500 miles of Philly, Make=Porsche, Model = 911, Style=Carrera, Body Style = Coupe, Transmission=manual. If you include other models such as S, 4s, cabs, turbos etc, the numbers jump... but so do the prices.

If I eliminated silver/grey/white (4) colors I am not interested in, I am down to 8 possible cars and 5 of these are from Porsche dealers. I know this search did not catch them all as I know Intersport in McLean VA has two cars that did not pop up on this search.

I don't know, but I don't think 500 mile radius of Philadelphia producing just 12 cars constitutes plenty out there. Anyone know how I can catch them all? Be careful as some are calling PDK a manual transmission.

I did a search in South Florida and while it did pop up a few cars, the asking prices were, generally, much higher than what is popping up in my northern searches.

As Mike noted, 997.2 cars are coming off lease more and more so I suspect more inventory shortly.

Anyway, I am looking!!! and looking.......

Bruce

and model/transmission types.

Say a model runs from 2006 to 2009 I'd search for all cars from 2006 to 2009, even though I would probably end up with a 2009.

And while I would not own a Cab I would include them as this ups the number of cars available. The same goes for different transmissions types.

The seller doesn't have to know you wouldn't be caught dead in a SY Cab with a Tip, all he has to know is there are 199 cars out there that you can choose from and he's sure to lose a sure sale if you walk. Of course you can rattle off the details of cars nearest the one you are *really* interested in to show him within a short distance away there are cars that you could very well buy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login