Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Replacement key opinions needed
boehmaj986 - Wednesday, 19 December, 2012, at 6:19:03 pm
Hi guys - I'm hoping you can help a sistah out.

Before I even ask the question, yes, I have searched here, there and everywhere on the 'net and am more confused than ever about replacement keys.

My issue is, somehow the one and only key to '99 986 is gone gone (bought used about 4 yrs ago and only had one key). I've looked everywhere. Seems like opinions on the boards range from, "order parts off the auction site" all the way to "you're hosed and have to get your car towed to the nearest dealer". I'm certain someone here has experience with this!

It seems like the best option is to order the blade and head from Suncoast or other, then go to the nearest dealer - yah...like 90 miles away for me - and have them cut the key and set up the programming. (Dealer will NOT ship a cut key even though I offered any and all types of ID they could want). So, I'm somewhat resigned to this plan of ordering parts and then driving to a dealership, but, can y'all calm my fears that if I go this route that my nearest dealer will indeed be able to cut/program using the VIN only, and not actually having the car at the dealer? and, that that new key will actually work?

Call me skeptical, but I want to at least have some certainty that this will work before dropping a couple hundred bucks and spending all day to get it done!

Thanks so much for any assistance. I always enjoy the lively discussions here.

Amy
Here's the skinny ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 19 December, 2012, at 10:59:31 pm
... any authorized dealer will be able to cut a new key which will open the door but ...
... it will not start the car until the car is reprogrammed for that particular immobilizer pill
You will have to take the car to the dealer or you will need someone with a PIWIS or PST-II and your car's programming codes come to you and reprogram the ECU.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Here's the skinny ...
boehmaj986 - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 10:32:54 pm
Thank you much Pedro!

After much Googling (the magic string was "lost Porsche keys" ), I found a place in UT where you can ship out your door lock and alarm unit and they can cut keys and reprogram the alarm unit, then you re-install everything. It's well after hours now, but I will call the company tomorrow, but they seem legit and do transponder/key work on Saab, Porsche, etc. I'll report back if anyone here has an interest. They quote $250 for 2 keys (non-remote), which is significantly less than any other option I've come across yet.

thanks again,
Amy
Re: Here's the skinny ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 21 December, 2012, at 6:33:18 am
If you have to ship them your door lock it means that they don't have access to the Porsche database to laser-cut the keys.
I hope it works for you.
Please let us know how it goes.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Are you planning to take out the door lock yourself?
Boxsterra - Sunday, 23 December, 2012, at 8:43:40 am
IIRC it's not a trivial job so if you're planning to pay someone to do it you should factor in the time to remove it and put it back.

That being said, perhaps another Porsche dealer would be willing to send you a cut key. Their concern is that you are trying to get into someone else's car. If you can prove you own it perhaps they will budge.

Also there are places that will cut it from a picture or the key number, for example: [www.keysinthepost.com]
Re: Are you planning to take out the door lock yourself?
boehmaj986 - Sunday, 23 December, 2012, at 2:54:25 pm
Thanks Pedro and Boxsterra - No, pulling the lock is indeed not trivial but not major surgery either. The lock is fiddly but not difficult. The main issue is that you mostly can't see what you're doing and have to work by feel. But, that said the lock is now safely out and I'm working on getting the seat out to pull the alarm/immobilizer unit. Of course, seat bolt #4 is stuck like a bugger and refuses to budge. I'm taking a day off to relax and will fight that fight another day.

As to non-Porsche keys..... I'm totally OK with that as long as the lovely silver brick currently gracing my carport, magically turns back into a driveable Boxster! Getting a cut key is only half the battle as the transponder must be programmed to the car.

Note to all, don't lose your only key to any modern car.

Pedro, so sorry to hear about your fenders-bender. People....ugh. Hope you're feeling OK and that you're back on the road soon.

thanks all,
Amy
Ok, good luck
Boxsterra - Monday, 24 December, 2012, at 4:06:59 pm
Spray some PB Blaster on that last bolt and let it soak. Also, if you've already removed the other bolts the problem may be that the seat is pushing against the fourth bolt. You could try wiggling the seat while removing the bolt.

If you get used transponders make sure they have the original key code or you won't be able to program the car to recognize them. I recommend the Carrera GT key heads. They are only about $10 more and they are much better quality.
IS that a new Techno product?
grant - Saturday, 12 January, 2013, at 1:21:56 pm
(PB Blaster)?

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Yeah - it really worked!!!!
boehmaj986 - Wednesday, 9 January, 2013, at 8:06:41 pm
Hi guys - So, after much gnashing of teeth, scraped knuckles, many socket sets and even a torque wrench, I was able to retreive the lock and immobilizer unit to ship off to get new keys made and programmed. Yah, like you I was a bit of a skeptic, but willing to give it try as much much less $$$ than any dealership I spoke with - not to mention, not having to have the car towed a minimum of 90 miles

I never did get bolt #4 out of the seat rail, but was able to just wrench the seat to the side enough to pull the two connectors on the immobilizer to get it out. Packed up and shipped off last Thursday. Today, a package was awaiting me when I got back from work. I couldn't wait for the weekend, so plugged in the immobilizer, hooked up the battery...and whooom she started right up. Call me ticked pink and incredibly relieved! This weekend, when there's some daylight to see, will get the lock and door all reassembled. Tomorrow, I plan on being a complete redneck and driving the P00R5CHE in to work with the door all pulled apart.

As to the actual keys, they are VW stock, with no remote functions. That's OK by me as I never lock the car and have manual releases on the trunk and frunk (as long as the cables don't snap!). Perhaps a key that says 'VW' instead of 'Porsche' will be less tempting...

Thanks for listening to my tales of woe. Please don't hesitate to PM/email me if anybody's interested in contact info for this vendor.

Amy

Re: Yeah - it really worked!!!!
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 10 January, 2013, at 8:48:32 am
Thanks for sharing your experience, Amy. It might help someone in the future. Glad it worked out for you.

I guess it's also a good reminder that it's always a good idea to have 2 keys for your car, just in case one gets lost or is damaged.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login