Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
so it is snake oil after all...
Burg Boxster - Thursday, 20 December, 2012, at 11:11:46 pm
Interesting little thread over on 986forum right now about a pretty technical member named ghost who vanished overnight b/c of his post regarding a certain aftermarket 'panacea' too many m96/m97 members have fallen prey to. Here's a quick copy of the most recent post regarding his disappearance as I'm sure it will be gone soon (as may this post due to commercial interests involved). Just thought I'd share.

In the mean time, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

986forum

What was shared wasa rusted,defected IMS bearing that got posted worldwide and all that should have happened was that those responsibleshould haveposted" Wearesorry and we will giveyou a 50,000 milewarranty on your updated IMS engine" "We are so sorry" HELLO, Instant world wide credibility, DUH............. but NO ,,,, Go and "NUKE GHOST" it's personal. SAD... and let me add......IDIOTS. Sorry, Ghost.

Last edited by milliemax; Today at 09:22 PM.

Today, 09:33 PM #19 kjc2050 Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012 Location: Big Sky Country Posts: 80 Garage

Actually, one of the first replies was from Charles of LNE, who offered to replace the bearing free, despite the fact that it had been purchased from Pelican.
I am shocked !
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 21 December, 2012, at 7:43:01 am
Burg Boxster
Here's a quick copy of the most recent post regarding his disappearance as I'm sure it will be gone soon (as may this post due to commercial interests involved).
[/quote]

Burg, why would you say that your post may disappear fom PedrosBoard due to commercial intests involved?
Why would you even bring up that crap here?
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2012 07:59AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
well...
Burg Boxster - Friday, 21 December, 2012, at 1:25:37 pm
I can see why you are shocked. Sorry, bad typing skills from mobile device...

My reference of post disappearing is in regards to 986forum's hidden commercial interest as many do not know it's owned by Wayne/Pelican Parts the seller. I wanted to highlight why I thought that post too would vanish and in doing so re-included (not really a word, I know) reference to post twice - inside AND outside of parantheses. 'Twas unintentional but since you too sell it, I can see why you interpreted as shot across the bow. It was not.

Yes we've gone around on this magic elixir before, and we each know where each other stands. That said, you do stand up and allow the discussion to occur. Wayne does not. Furthermore, his site blocks links to other parts sellers...

Sorry for the confusion and Merry Christmas
Censorship is sometimes bad
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 21 December, 2012, at 11:36:51 am
The background story is the OP on 986 bought a LN bearing kit from Pelican. Took it out of the bag and noticed rust. Posted a picture of obvious rust. So didn't install.

Another poster wondered if it was even an LN part. Charles replied and didn't say that the part shown wasn't an LN part but that the part in question was always shipped by LN in a sealed bag with the part being immersed in oil to prevent any shelf life damage.

Others speculated that the item the OP received was a return that Pelican had accepted when someone else ordered the part, then opened the engine and discovered that they had a different version of the IMS but by then they had removed the bearing from the plastic bag and put it in the freezer. And the OP had gotten an item that had been returned to Pelican and then been shipped out with Wayne not knowing that the subpackaging had been opened. Others asked why this hadn't been taken directly to Wayne, the supplier.

There was no confirmation that the speculation was true and the OP hadn't said what condition the packaging was when he received it.

I never saw any posting from Wayne on the thread but then I may have missed it. Charles had responded with one reply explaining LN's packaging and how it should prevent such rust and offering an exchange. At the time, I thought the thread was moving toward a useful conclusion and that the OP would be made whole by someone.

Didn't know/notice the thread had been removed. I'd have rather seen it left and the presumably authoritative explanation by Wayne describing the action taken to satisfy the OP and the OP's post of success be the last posting.

I should say here that I had sent Charles a link to the thread early on thinking that he might clarify if it was his part in the picture and that he might learn something from the description that would benefit his packaging. I think all I said was "you ought to look at this link". I do similar things from time to time seeking to get some help for people.
sometimes...?
grant - Friday, 21 December, 2012, at 9:28:39 pm
although i see that this could be wrongly damning to some parties....

I'd much rather see a clear resolution.

Charles is a superb, honest, guy.

I can't speak for wayne, i don't know him, but i've generally had good service from his company, and use them regularly, even tho they are not the cheapest.

We all know what i think of his books :-) Amusing is the best word.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: so it is snake oil after all...
linklaw - Saturday, 22 December, 2012, at 6:34:15 am
I don't understand the big deal. Someone buys a car part and when it arrives it is obviously rusty. Did the seller refuse to replace it? Refuse to refund the purchaser's money? Why post a picture of the part on the internet? I have bought a bunch of parts over the years I was not happy with, either because they showed up not as advertised, were junk, were damaged, etc. I typically call the seller, describe the problem, get a return shipping confirmation number and send the part back. The seller then either refunds my money or sends a new part. Problem solved without posting photos of the part on the internet or slamming the seller on a discussion forum. I never bought anything from Pelican so have no experience there. It looks from a reading of the above posts that the manufacturer offered an exchange. I never bought anything from them either but it sure looks like they tried to do the right thing, even if the part wasn't purchased from them. Why all the fuss?
The fuss is over
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 22 December, 2012, at 11:33:31 am
The OP didn't first go back to who sold him the part apparently but used a subject line which by implication damned the part as being a problem so everyone looked.

And then various people took positions

The seller never posted

The manufacturer stepped in. Unfortunately, even he used a phrase that some questioned.

The entire thread disappeared. The seller is the moderator and owner of the forum.

There weren't a lot of well thought postings in the thread IMHO.

How much better for all if the OP had gone back to Pelican and, after getting an exchange, had posted about the need for inspecting the packaging and what you should see versus what he had seen as an instructional post sharing info with the community with a less sensationalist subject line and included the happy conclusion.

How much better if Wayne had just left the postings up as we were very close to making the OP whole.

One thing I've learned along the way is if you screw up, admit it and just get on with making things as right as they can be. People can't stay as mad at someone who admits fault/error. Hiding something makes it look worse than it really is.

And the seller would have looked better had he just done the exchange and posted that it was done and people reading would have said "oops but he made good so he can be trusted".
Re: so it is snake oil after all...
IFlyLow - Monday, 24 December, 2012, at 9:13:33 am
I have dealt with Charles personally, and found he was a very helpful person. I have also dealt directly with Wayne for a few special order cases. Also a very helpful person.

Bottom line: 986 forum is just as helpful as Pedro's, and I refer to both almost daily. Regardless of sponsorship, etc., the owner of the website has the right to say what does/doesn't get posted. I have no doubt that this was handled professionally, and neither Wayne nor Charles should be obligated to publicize the outcome.

For a regular member to post directly to the site shouldn't be a first course of action, but a final one.

I am grateful for the help I have received, and continue to receive, from Wayne, Charles AND Pedro.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login