Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
M030 comments
grant - Friday, 21 December, 2012, at 9:43:00 pm
I hesitate to say *too* much since i have:

- mostly run it in the rain
- 1/2 run them on snow tires
- not run on a track or AX

But, that said, the M030 full kit (springs, dampers, bars) seesm to be excellent. Note that the performance of suspension is often neither good nor bad, its a trade off.

First, it only lowered the car maybe 10mm, less than 1/2" from what i could tell. And not enough to get much negative camber up front - i'm now at -0.4deg with zero cross camber. Disappointing.

Control and spring/damper matching is terrific. Flat, controlled.

The resulting ride, on lovely northeastern roads (potholes, frost heave, etc) is pretty marginal. Most non-track folks - most folks in general - would NOT, repeat NOT find this a good trade-off. Overall, i do. But i'm fairly hard-core. But be warned that over chopped pavement (not undulations - heaves, patches, holes, etc) it is HARSH.

On regular pavement its great. Ride is fine. Noise is acceptable. Dynamic response is much improved. Where the OEM car would take a bit of time to find a "set", and could begin to oscillate in quick slaloms, and would lean considerably - it now sets almost yesterday, never over-shoots, and is much flatter ( the latter being mostly irrelevant except as a boy-racer measure of toughness).

I'm happy.

Anecdotally, the guy who owns and runs the shop that did my repairs is a racer. In fact his shop mostly does race cars and supports amateur racers at events. he also has a boxster and preferred the way mine drove to his (street car, light track car). he also ha race cars and neither of us made any comparison to them).

For practical reasons i made another change at the same time -- so i cant easily report on its specific contributions, but i also installed the Techno-Brace which keeps camber change at the rear under control when you really push it. I doubt i've pushed it enough to yet really feel it, but everything feels very planted back there.

Between the M030, the Techno-brace and the GT-3 seats, the car is really nice to push hard. Oddly, the seats may be as big as the suspension, since i knwo can sit, relaxed, and gently feel the wheel and place the car where i want. B4, i was part steering, part weight-lifitng and part hanging on for dear life. not a recipe for precision!

So - bottom line: if you want real performance, darn the trade-offs, this is a well-engineered (duh, it factory) system. If you have a DD that you kinda push, but want comfort, its not for everyone.

So, FYI and happy boxstering. In fact, happy holidays and be well to all,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: M030 comments
Dave In MD - Saturday, 22 December, 2012, at 11:33:25 am
grant

But, that said, the M030 full kit (springs, dampers, bars) seesm to be excellent. Note that the performance of suspension is often neither good nor bad, its a trade off.

Same here! Found it helped A LOT on the track over the stock. It's added stability and stays flatter in the corners. I also found the road driving ok.. even my wife said it was acceptable and in some ways an improvement over the old worn suspension. No regrets.

Enjoy it.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
jpv42 - Saturday, 22 December, 2012, at 1:31:36 pm
No longer available according to Sunset Porsche.
Dave In MD - Saturday, 22 December, 2012, at 3:43:05 pm
Not sure if it comes from Porsche as a "package" anymore, but you can still get the parts. Suncoast still sells it as a single item for the 986.

Suncoast Porsche Parts

You could also give Bert Smith a call and see if they have it.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
But the motorsports kits exist for newer cars.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login