Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Yet another flat tire.. This time on the Boxster...
MarcW - Tuesday, 25 December, 2012, at 12:52:17 pm
New tires (Pirelli) installed in May with odo showing around 255K . Currently the odo shows 262K so the new tires have about 7K miles on them but the tires are not worn enough to require both be replaced, thank goodness.

Anyhow, the right rear tire has what appears to be a flat head (with a square hole in it) metal screw of some kind about an inch in from the inner sidewall. Rats. Good news is like the several times before when I had new tires installed I didn't have the SM remove the tire road hazard coverage and the tire will be replaced free of charge.

A complication is I have been driving the Boxster in the rain since its tires have good tread and because the 996's front tires are worn to/past the wear bars. New tires have been on order a while now, I thought. Been so busy I have not followed up.

Dropped the Boxster tire off at the dealer yesterday and after a search of the dealer's assortment of take off tires turned up nothing that could be used while waiting for the new tire to arrive -- I was told the tire would be ordered Wednesday and here by Thursday -- I asked about the 996's tires and found out there was some mixup -- regular SM away on training, new parts department person -- and the 996 tires were not ordered. These will be ordered first thing Wednesday, too.

In the meantime to make amends for the tire mixup and to keep me from having to drive the 996 on bad tires -- I use it to run my parents to their doctor appointments and they have between them at least one in the middle of the week and lab visits for blood tests every Saturday -- the dealership provided me with a Audi A4 courtesy car.

First impression of the Audi? Nice door close! Seriously, I thought my Porsche doors had that bank vault shutting feel but the Audi beats the Porsches at least in this area. Going to use the Audi to make a run down to visit my sister today. About a 120 mile round trip. I'll see how the Audi fares. I hope today proves to be a duplicate of last Sunday. Sunday when I made this same run I had to use the windshield wipers in fast mode for over 30 miles. Most prolonged/heavy rain I can remember out here in years. I love it!
thanks to the road hazard coverage ($7/tire?). Best bet I've ever made!

Tech didn't have time to install the rear trunk lid struts. I'll try to get to these today if I can remember.

Got in the car and had my left foot on the dead pedal and felt what felt like, well, water, coming in from the top of the shoe through tongue from the vamp (the top of the shoe that covers the forward part of the foot/toes). Not much water just a drop or two.

Car's been out in the rain before I took it in and and then it was washed after the tire service and sat out in the rain again. (Medium pop/snap when I moved the car off from a stop this AM.. brakes rusted a bit.)

Anyhow, I checked the drains and they are clear. Checked the carpet and no dampness. I wonder if the replacement windshield is starting to leak?

I'll keep an eye on this and if I spot any more water (or feel any more water on my foot) I'll have a tech advise me.

Oh, had to order the panel that covers the area where the front trunk latch/lock is, the panel that spans the space between the front bumper cover and the trunk tub and between the headlights. The panel is cracking/coming apart.

They just don't make plastic like they used to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login