Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Regenerative brakes; battery voltage level
Laz - Wednesday, 26 December, 2012, at 4:57:55 pm
Made a few observations with the battery voltage reading 13.9, then with brake application it quickly rising to about 14.5, and falling back gradually once the brakes were released.

Also, noticed today coming down a 400 foot hill with intermittent braking, the voltage went from 15.3 to 15.5. It settled back to 15.3 and (surprisingly) pretty much stayed there for the rest of about a two hour trip on various interstates. This is with the heated wheel on and the driver's seat anywhere from highest to lowest heat.

Now safely back at home and using up the canned goods from my apocalypse survival bunker.
from the consumption of canned foods and the increase in radon gas exposure from inside your bunker.
Re: Regenerative brakes; battery voltage level
jwdbox - Wednesday, 26 December, 2012, at 7:18:26 pm
Laz
Made a few observations with the battery voltage reading 13.9, then with brake application it quickly rising to about 14.5, and falling back gradually once the brakes were released.

Also, noticed today coming down a 400 foot hill with intermittent braking, the voltage went from 15.3 to 15.5. It settled back to 15.3 and (surprisingly) pretty much stayed there for the rest of about a two hour trip on various interstates. This is with the heated wheel on and the driver's seat anywhere from highest to lowest heat.

Now safely back at home and using up the canned goods from my apocalypse survival bunker.
I would think that 15.3 and or 15.5 volts is a bit high and would have thought it would be regulated to a somewhat lower max.
Checked with dealer service concerning the charge rate
Laz - Thursday, 27 December, 2012, at 3:13:09 pm
They said it's ok to go that high. I let the car idle to full coolant temperature (200º F) and the voltage gradually rose to a momentary 15.1, then it settled back to 14.8-9. Various combinations of electrical loads on and off and revving to about 4k didn't cause more than a tenth or so of fluctuation, nor any discernible lighting brightness change. I looked at the battery; it's a sealed type (AGM) so no electrolyte level check is applicable. It didn't feel warm (although the ambient temperature is about 34º F right now.) Considering the dealer's reassurance and the lack adverse phenomena, I'm not going to worry about it.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: Checked with dealer service concerning the charge rate
jwdbox - Thursday, 27 December, 2012, at 6:06:51 pm
Neither will I. winking smileycool smiley
This one:
Laz - Friday, 28 December, 2012, at 4:04:16 pm
charge the battery and reduce alternator drag?

(c'mon, someone say it...."do they normally wear dresses?")

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
To the battery, which is an AGM type
Laz - Saturday, 29 December, 2012, at 6:57:57 am
VRLA
Haven't found anything about reduced drag from the alternator, etc, but considering the 2013 floor mats are thinner and the seat back pockets have been eliminated, mpg must be the raison d'être. I believe the battery itself is lighter, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2012 07:03AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, i should have connected the dots
grant - Saturday, 29 December, 2012, at 8:54:20 am
If you use another method to charge the battery, the load on the alternator goes down. If the load on the alternator goes down, the back-emf goes down. If the back -emf goes down, it is easier to turn. Or if it's clutch operated, it need not be turned at all.

In any event, you answered my question, thanks.

Grant

Grant

then electricity could at some point be generated nearly free - just spin the sucker and use it to power, say, New York!

Alas it would become hard to spin, not to mention it would melt.

Grant

Grant

Re: This one: Great Looking Car
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Saturday, 29 December, 2012, at 11:58:14 am
But it would look even better with the top down. smoking smiley

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
I don't want to get jaded. *NM*
Laz - Sunday, 30 December, 2012, at 4:29:46 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login