Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Do the M96 heads come off as a unit? Or...
grant - Sunday, 30 December, 2012, at 4:46:08 pm
Do i need to slowly dis-assemble them (cams, sprockets, lifters, etc) before i can tale them off.

There's the obvious problem of the timing chains restraining it.. not sure if there's an easy way to slip them off.

I think maintaining timing may be low on my list of priorities with this motor (wry smiley)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
That is the camshaft cover is off, the cams are out, the sprockets are left bolted to the cams though, the lifter bore assembly is out.
Yea, that's the official route. Maybe the only one.
grant - Monday, 31 December, 2012, at 9:05:00 am
I was looking for a short cut. Ah well.

Not sure how much this monster weighs. I'm thinking of schlepping it to my garage and putting it on a bench or engine stand.

Just for fun - not planning to attempt a rebuild myself.

HNY,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
have to weigh that much maybe more.

I've dealt with engines as heavy maybe heavier (318CI Dodge V8) by myself using an engine hoist and a good sturdy/stable engine stand. Once on the stand one can disassemble to his heart's content. The stand is on casters to so one can move the stand around though one has to be always aware the thing could tip over and no one wants a 400lb engine falling on his foot.
Re: Do the M96 heads come off as a unit? Or...
Alcantera - Tuesday, 1 January, 2013, at 7:12:52 pm
They are easy to take apart,it seems putting them back together requires all the special tools. You need to remove the cams then everything is easy to remove. You will notice just about all the fasteners are identicle. Be sure to keep lots of oil pans handy because there will be oil trapped everywhere and comes out as you rotate the motor. Have fun doing your autopsy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login