Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I saw the latest issue at the doctor's office today. It beat out the new 911.
Re: Autoweek names 2013 Boxster S the best car of the year
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 16 January, 2013, at 3:25:01 pm
Interesting.....the 2012 991 was out a year ago, and they are different cars, both best for their uniques mission. I happen to know a retired lawyer who purchased one of the first 981's with about every option, most of which he'll never figure out, much less use. Whatever.

The 911 is celerbrating 50 years, so maybe best car of the half century winking smiley

The 50th anniversary of Porsche's iconic 911 will be celebrated at the 18th Annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance the weekend of March 10, 2013.

The 911 was introduced in the autumn of 1963 at the Frankfurt Auto Salon and has become an iconic design, helping propel Porsche to commercial and competition success.

Designed by the late Ferdinand Alexander “Butzi” Porsche, the grandson of Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, the 911 broke new technological ground with a horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine that became the foundation of generations of Porsche sports and racing cars.

Originally named the “Type 7” during its prototype stage, the new Porsche was assigned model number “901.” Copyright complications forced Porsche to rename the car. The new designation, “911,” was a logical, practical and inspired choice.

Even 50 years later, the 911 is a success in showrooms and on roads and race courses worldwide. From its first entry, Porsche's new 911 won its category in all the classic sports-car endurance races. Class wins in the 1966 24 Hours of Daytona, the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 24 Hours of Le Mans were followed by outright victory in the rugged Monte Carlo Rally in 1968. In 1973, the Brumos Porsche 911 RS driven by Jacksonville's Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood won a legendary upset victory in the 24 Hours of Daytona, defeating an international field of pure prototypes. The same year brought Porsche's 911 overall victories in the punishing 12 Hours of Sebring and the World Championship Targa Florio on the rugged mountain roads of Sicily.

In a half-century, the engine displacement of the 911 has doubled. The 911 has also been turbocharged, making it one of the fastest and strongest accelerating cars for highway use. On Feb. 4, 2012, Porsche introduced the latest version of the 911, the 991.

“The profile of Porsche's 911 is instantly recognizable,” said Bill Warner, founder and chairman of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. “The 911's shape has remained fresh, contemporary and essentially unchanged since the day the first 911 was built a half-century ago. That must be the best and purest definition of a truly great design.”

The 2013 edition of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance will be March 8-10 on the 10th and 18th fairways of The Golf Club of Amelia Island at Summer Beach adjacent to The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Fla. The show's foundation has donated nearly $1.8 million to Community Hospice of Northeast Florida Inc. and other charities on Florida's First Coast since its inception in 1996.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
...now when it comes to right now, no maybes in my mind. I think Autoweek has it right.cool smiley
Link to the article.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 16 January, 2013, at 6:04:37 pm
Guenter in Ontario
...now when it comes to right now, no maybes in my mind. I think Autoweek has it right.cool smiley

+1
Makes me proud to own one.......
l3m - Wednesday, 16 January, 2013, at 7:15:51 pm
even if it's an older model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 07:16PM by l3m. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login