Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
When to Change Oil after IMS Bearing Replacement
SPG356 - Sunday, 20 January, 2013, at 7:32:26 pm
Guys,

I replaced my original IMS bearing with the LN engineering bearing. All went well and the original bearing looked/felt fine, but I am glad I did it. It was installed at @ 107,500 miles which is halfway between my 5,000 mile oil/filter change interval. The car is now at 109,000 miles and of course an oil/filter change was done at the time of the bearing installation. I cannot find any info from the LN site regarding oil/filter change intervals after installing their bearing. I am inclined to keep it at the 5,000 mile interval and in fact I will likely do it at 110,000 and then every 5k just to keep it simple at each 5k on the odo.

Any one with experience with this?

Thanks.
usual 5K interval. You stay on an easy to remember mileage interval.

Also anytime an engine is opened up the engine will pick it its pace of shedding trash. With an early oil change you get an early glimpse at what amount of trash the oil filter housing oil and filter element have collected.
You still have a ball bearing
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 21 January, 2013, at 2:31:05 pm
only now it is a better material quality and lubed by oil vapor. However that oil may contain debris from other parts in the engine and if that debris gets into the bearings, accelerated wear can occur. So keeping the oil clean and high quality is to your advantage.

Is there a scientific analysis available of the trade offs between bearing wear and frequency of oil change given a certain oil formulation used in this application? Not that I know of.

Given the costs involved, maybe do a used oil analysis at your normal interval to see what kind of lubrication your bearings might be receiving and let that be your guide.

Or if Ed B chimes in maybe he has some insight since he knows a bit about bearings.
Thanks Marc and Mike...
SPG356 - Monday, 21 January, 2013, at 9:48:11 pm
Does anyone who has done the LN conversion know what their recommended 1st oil change interval is? I will stick with the 5K for regular intervals.

I bought it from Pelican as it was more convenient while ordering the new clutch and flywheel; I do not see any info on either site so if someone has that info to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
SPG356
Does anyone who has done the LN conversion know what their recommended 1st oil change interval is? I will stick with the 5K for regular intervals.

I bought it from Pelican as it was more convenient while ordering the new clutch and flywheel; I do not see any info on either site so if someone has that info to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Anytime the engine is opened up upon being put back into service the engine will increase its rate of material shedding.

While there is the filter of course that prevents this material (debris) from being circulated through the engine it just makes me feel better draining the oil and replacing it with fresh oil. Oh, and replacing the filter too.

Now how soon after putting the engine back into service?

Well, after a rebuild I was taught to run the engine 30 minutes or so and then do an oil/filter change. I will note I "violated" this 30 minutes when after getting my new 08 Cayman S I drove the car 750 miles before doing its first oil/filter service. As I've mentioned and even posted pics of this, the oil the filter housing oil and filter element was filthy. A 2nd oil/filter service around 750 miles later found just the tiniest hint of debris (very fine alum. particles) in the oil. (So tiny that I never bothered to photograph the oil for nothing would have shown up.) Now that I think about it I violated this when I have my Boxster's VarioCam solenoid/actuator work done. Wait maybe not. I told the tech I wanted the oil/filter service done after the repairs and the tech ran the engine after he finished the VarioCam repair job then did the oil/filter service afterwards.)

Anyhow, while it may seem a bit overkill I really do not see anything wrong with this. Do an oil/filter service now and then again at the next 5K mile interval and then resume your 5K mile oil/filter service schedule.

However, if LN has some recommendation on when the 1st oil change is done after an LN bearing install you have to go by what LN says.
MarcW

Anyhow, while it may seem a bit overkill I really do not see anything wrong with this. Do an oil/filter service now and then again at the next 5K mile interval and then resume your 5K mile oil/filter service schedule.

However, if LN has some recommendation on when the 1st oil change is done after an LN bearing install you have to go by what LN says.

Thanks Marc,

I will err on the side of caution and change the oil now and then again every 5k miles since that got me to 107k miles to begin with!

Regards,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login