Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Battery Questions
grant - Sunday, 10 February, 2013, at 12:40:45 pm
I need a battery for my car.

1. What's the feedback on the superiority of glassmat / Optima batteries?
2. Are all the glassmat batteries the same?
3. Beyond that, where are good places to get a battery. I typically like SEARS (good experiences), but their group 48 is very costly

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Battery Questions
old timer - Sunday, 10 February, 2013, at 12:59:45 pm
What makes that better than other interstate batteries?
grant - Sunday, 10 February, 2013, at 1:31:35 pm
There's little info on the site; its very expensive, and in my experience, die-hards last much better than regular old interstates (which is what died)

Is this an AGM battery? Or ???

I also dont like their warranty. See that "list price" that's much higher than suggested retail? That's what they charge you on warranty replacements. Just went through it.

Grant

Grant

I'm looking for facts. You seem to like that model for some reason. I dont knwo that reason or what you compare it to.

Can you enlighten me?

Grant

Laz - Sunday, 10 February, 2013, at 1:16:50 pm
Read especially the "Comparison" section:
[en.wikipedia.org]
New Porsches, at least the Boxster and probably the Cayman, use glass mat.
In the great white north
Roger987 - Sunday, 10 February, 2013, at 1:40:33 pm
Guenter and I have had good experiences (I think) with Canadian Tire's. Not sure who makes it, but it fits, and vents.

They run around $120 or so.

The original batteries can last a long time, if used regularly. I regard replacement batteries as consumables, so I pay attention to the length of the non-pro-rated warranty.

[www.canadiantire.ca]
Re: In the great white north
Petee_C - Thursday, 21 February, 2013, at 10:05:11 am
How many years on your CTC battery?

I'm contemplating the AGM from CTC, it's "on sale" til today for $175 (Group 94R) (5yr free replacement)

Flooded Lead- Acid Group 94R is $160 normally (4yr free replacement)
Flooded Lead-Acid Group 48 is $130 normally.

I run an old school GPS (Garmin 2610), Bel 945Sti, and a USB cell phone charger usually in my car. 50% of the time, I'll have the headlights on (no DRL hack). Car driven end of March to October/November. If I was smart, I'd put the tender on it all winter.

No heated seats, or extra stereo.
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 21 February, 2013, at 1:02:14 pm
Pete, I got the Eliminater 48 with a 4 year free replacement warranty at CTC. Put it in October 2011. it was $130 + HST at the time. It's been working fine.
Petee_C - Thursday, 21 February, 2013, at 1:41:02 pm
Thanks Guenter,

I'm going with the Eliminator Group 48 as well. Did some thinking about it, and the capacity of the battery doesn't affect my day to day use much. As long as the alternator can keep up with the load on the electrical, all's good.

Reserve capacity only affects the length you can go with parasitic drain on.... and I should *REALLY* plug the boxster in next year when I hibernate it.

Peter
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 21 February, 2013, at 1:51:06 pm
Yup. If my car is going to sit much more than a week, I always plug in the battery maintainer. With all the electronics on these cars, I don't see how one can sit all winter without a maintainer an still have it start in Spring.
A couple more years
Boxsterra - Sunday, 10 February, 2013, at 2:29:27 pm
and there will be reasonably-priced Li-ion car batteries. They're already widely available for motorcycles. They are lighter and don't lose their charge when you leave them sitting. Perfect for a Boxster.

I would find the auto shop with the best battery warranty and go with that. The gel batteries supposedly have a slower self-discharge rate, which is definitely desirable but they hold less charge per weight.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 10 February, 2013, at 8:09:22 pm
I will only say that when I wanted a battery and because price was only a secondary objective I bought an AGM (online) and the adapter plate. I wanted it because I hibernated my car, because they are commonly used on yachts which hibernate worth megamillions, and for fun and because I bought the hype.
Looks like a good read. Thanks. *NM*
Laz - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 12:46:13 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login