Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Finally, I am in a new-for-me '09 C2S with 26K miles. I will post pics when I take them.
Good luck Grant with my, your, 2000S....... It still is a great chassis (but you know that).

OK, quiz time: When and where is the best time and place to buy a sports car? Try the dead of winter on January 31st in St Paul Minnesota from a non-Porsche dealer! I looked for 3 or so months and found one through Autotrader.com. Some items:

1 - Thanx to Pedro for providing a great community!
2 - Thanx to a Pedro boarder who provided me with Mannheim sales information. I had the sales for this model for the last 30 days across the USA. Surprisingly, not many sales and the prices were quite varied and I wasn't sure how to understand the condition code but.... I could eyeball what I thought was a "price floor". I figured this price is the lowest they would go before they dumped the car at auction.
3 - Know what you want. I made a list of what I wanted and kept it simple: 2009, C2, Midnight Blue, Aqua Blue, Ruby Red, Racing Green, light interior, manual, sub 30K miles. As it turned out, I got a C2 S for what I thought I would pay for a C2.
4 -I had contacted a local "car broker" who said he would find me one at auction for a flat fee of $1,500. We chatted and then he didn't return my calls or emails. He has a good reputation around Philly; I don't understand why he went silent on me. I drove to VA to InterSport and had a great experience with them, drove one, and they noted they would find me what I wanted and be completely open with the numbers. I figured I was going to buy from these guys but I found this one in MN before it happened.
5 - CarFax came up with an big OH OH! 1 owner, 1 accident...... said "Hit a wild animal" Hmmm.... could be bad.... but animals aren't brick walls either... hmmmm..... scared.
6 - Buy sight unseen from 1200 miles away and 1 wild animal accident? Sure!! I contacted the local Porsche club and spoke to a great guy who was a Porsche nut, gear head, and a 12 year instructor (kinda Pedro-like). He went and test drove the car (for free! I sent him a case of oranges) and recommended I take the car to a local Porsche speed shop. They charged $110 to put the car on the rack, dump the computer etc. I spoke to them and they said the car was clean and said "if this car was in an accident, we see no evidence of it" They even thought the front bumper was original. (really? hmm...). The car was red-lined 18 times, and all 0 for over rev ranges. (18 times? Shoot this was looking to be a poser car). OK, so what would you do at this point? My car-guy friend said "run!" but he has owned a '07 997 and put, to date, 2 thousand miles on it. Not my value system.
7 - They came down around 4K under their asking price - I was shocked actually as this was below what I almost paid for a totally stripped down C2 1.5 months ago. At this point, I didn't know the option list. The dealer's website was all wrong and listed it as having PDK, something I absolutely did not want. The pictures showed a manual. The dealer noted that they pay a service to populate the options and even handle their inventory management and web presence. I could see the interior had some eye candy like dark wood trim and a multifunction steering wheel..... but that was all I could see. The dealer was no help with the options. I offered about 2K less and they said no way..... negotiated and I think I paid about $300 for shipping (open carrier, independent driver).
8 - The guys up in MN are an interesting lot.... they couldn't confirm my wire transfers due to some accounting department issue (it definitely was in there), so they called me and put it on the truck anyway. They said if I wasn't legit, they would have the driver just drop the car at Mannheim (outside of Philly). I laughed.... this told me they really were not planning on making much on this car. He also told me at this time, car was on the move, that the sales value for this car would rise by $4k in April/May. True? I dunno.
9 - Option codes: I called Porsche North America for the option codes... they said I had to be the owner of record before they could release that information. So I PDF'd the bill of sale (Fedex'd to me), and in an hour they called me back.... they read them off to me, I then looked them up on the '09 buyers guide (out there on the 'net) and built a spreadsheet with pricing. I was shocked!!!! This guy loaded it up with eye candy and gadgets... crap I never would have purchased... and I got them for free.

Peace
Bruce

Here ya go:

[www.travelthroughpictures.com]
Bruce--you did good!
MikenOH - Thursday, 14 February, 2013, at 8:59:44 pm
Ruby with a natural colored interior--wow what a combo.
Can't wait to see the pics.
Me too! It runs.
grant - Thursday, 14 February, 2013, at 9:46:48 pm
and has a title, battery, etc.

Your new car sounds beautiful - great car, color combo - everything. Seems to have really worked out.

We need to exchange notes.

Enjoy,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Now in a new used Porsche - story here
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 14 February, 2013, at 10:46:00 pm
Sounds like a lot of work that resulted in you getting a great car. Looking forward to some pictures and writeup of your first drive.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 09:37AM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I did a quick input on the major cost option items and got $62,302 for suggested retail (dealer) and $64,802 on a CPO.
That was a big variable for me. So, maybe I got a deal typical for a 1 accident on CarFax. Regardless, I think I got a killer deal and am very happy. My price target was $55K and all my research pointed to a low mileage C2 not an S. I heard a rumor that a local guy purchased an '09 C2 stripped at a dealer for $50K but I really doubt this. I was chatting with a rep at a local Porsche dealer who I know and when I told him what I paid his eyes bugged out. He was sincerely surprised at the price.

Gotta go for a drive. I took some pics today... will post tonight.

Peace,
Bruce
Re: What is the discount on a 1 accident on CarFax?
SPG356 - Saturday, 16 February, 2013, at 9:21:01 pm
Bruce In Philly (2000S Morte)
That was a big variable for me. So, maybe I got a deal typical for a 1 accident on CarFax. Regardless, I think I got a killer deal and am very happy. My price target was $55K and all my research pointed to a low mileage C2 not an S. I heard a rumor that a local guy purchased an '09 C2 stripped at a dealer for $50K but I really doubt this. I was chatting with a rep at a local Porsche dealer who I know and when I told him what I paid his eyes bugged out. He was sincerely surprised at the price.

Gotta go for a drive. I took some pics today... will post tonight.

Peace,
Bruce

The CARFAX is a real double edged sword. There can be very benign incidences that will give you a "Moderate" accident CARFAX. That can scare buyers away from a perfectly good car and it certainly hurts the sellers/owners. Case in point: A friend was involved in an accident in so much as he was forced off the road by a vehicle that lost control. My friend's car had zero damage while the car that lost control had considerable damage. Because my friend was "involved" in the accident, his info was on the police report. Police report = CARFAX.

He traded the car in to us a few years later and the CARFAX showed he was involved in a "Moderate to Severe" accident. We knew the story going in and took it in on trade at the market value anyway. We had the car nearly 8 mos before selling it for about what we had in it because we could not get anyone to go any farther than the CARFAX. Ironically, a mutual friend of all parties involved bought the car from us since he knew the story; we were just glad to get rid of it.

It goes both ways. It really protects buyers when presented with a badly damaged but repaired car. But when we appraise a car we immediately do a CARFAX and if anything shows Moderate damage or above, we really don't even want it even if the repair was done right and at a reduced figure, even if it means losing the new car deal. Our wholesalers even have trouble getting rid of these bad CARFAX cars at a reduced price. So in some cases it can make a good to very good car with a bad CARFAX almost unsellable.
Re: Interesting... so maybe I could have gotten a better deal?
SPG356 - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 10:21:48 am
Bruce In Philly (2000S Morte)
n/t

Bruce, I think you did very well, especially after looking at the photos. A CARFAX showing accident damage with an animal is pretty unusual but the inspection clearly showed no real damage.

My examples were for daily driver/transportation situations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 10:34AM by SPG356. (view changes)

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Can't wait to se the pics!

Hope all is well. I met you at BRBS a few years ago.

Best regards, -rick.
You look like a beer?
grant - Saturday, 16 February, 2013, at 8:22:46 pm
Nah, ya don't.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
My late wife Lynn & I attended BRBS one year (I think it was '08 or '09), and we met Jeff and his wife at dinner, and we ended up joining their 'fun run' team. Jeff had a beautiful midnight blue '08 Boxster, which I believe he later sold for another Boxster. Good guy. Not sure if he posts here anymore.

Sorry for the confusion, lol..

Best regards,

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login