Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Here's a guy who wants to drive a computer:
Laz - Saturday, 23 February, 2013, at 2:42:48 pm
[www.digitaltrends.com]
He confuses "audiophiles" with those who just want really loud sound to emanate from the speakers. The more sones, the better!
My obligatory comment....

I posted this a long time ago when I upgraded my 2000 S system with expensive aftermarket stuff (looked completely stock), and someone commented that I could now overcome the road noise etc. by playing at much higher volumes.

An audiophile system is rarely if ever about high volume or pounding bass. It is about accuracy. When music is reproduced accurately, your ear/brain system can more easily interpret the meaning of the sound waves. In other words, you can listen at lower volumes and better hear words, news, music whatever. An audiophile system in a noisy car actually lowers listening fatigue.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: My obligatory comment.... (edited)
Laz - Sunday, 24 February, 2013, at 2:12:22 pm
I agree philosophically, but, unfortunately, upward compression can be somewhat helpful in pretty much anything short of a Rolls because of a vehicle's, especially a moving one's, higher noise floor, than one might have at home. Of course, the higher the resolving power of a system, the less the compression "necessary" to achieve conveyance/intelligibility of the source material.
A vehicle's interior has several parameters that are prioritized for it being a driver/passenger environment, and that's pretty much irreconcilable with an optimized home listening environment: sound stage, standing wave control, imaging, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 02:21PM by Laz. (view changes)
Yup, agree with both of you actually
grant - Sunday, 24 February, 2013, at 6:24:21 pm
Some of you may know that i played in this game as an electronics designer for many years, over a decade ago.

One of the big hurdles in truly realistic and non-fatiguing reproduction is a huge dynamic range.
This requires, simultaneously, a low noise floor and the ability to play very loud, albeit from brief instants.

A car is a truly difficult environment due to its own high noise floor. Its also why, in that environment, good noise-cancelling technology may be a huge boon, even though we might avoid it in our living rooms. In a truly quiet environment its likely that the additional processing would raise various distortions more than it would benefit from noise reduction. In a car, the benefit can be huge.

its worth noting that many manufacturers are beginning to use electronic noise cancellation as active mufflers. Cadillac for one.

They are lighter, have less back-pressure, and can be tuned to leave a better aural signature.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login