Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
986 chassis.

Specify S or not ( my question applies to S)

With what dampers?

Mostly interesting in ride quality deterioration - looking to lower the car a bit and thus effect more negative camber (F), plus lower roll center. Point is I want to trade as little ride comfort as possible for handling, by dealing with center of mass and weight transfer, not by making things too stiff.

Please provide as much context as you can, since we all have different subjective vocabulary...

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Grant,
I have H&R springs with Bilstein HD shocks on my 99 2.5L. The ride is fairly firm, but my recolection of the ride prior to the suspension work has greatly faded. These springs will lower the car very well, and your handling will react accordingly. Directional changes are much quicker, no body roll, and you will find yourself swerving down the street to avoid potholes and bumps.
In my opinion, it is not an unpleasant ride, and I live in the pothole and frost heaved Northeast. If you live in an area with halfway decent roads, you will love it, totally transforms the car, and will close down the wheel gap. You will have to pay attention to how you enter driveways, store parking lot entrances and speedbumps.
have a look see...

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Thanks Steve,
grant - Monday, 4 March, 2013, at 8:47:46 am
I think you know i'm in NJ. So lousy roads - likely worse than yours!

I also have a car that's becoming a track car ( the burgundy one) - ROW030, lots of Pedro bits, toe links, etc.

This is for my "street" car - so magical transformation in handling at the expense of ride is not a great trade-off, or at least not my first choice.

One expensive option i've considered is the KW variant 1 coilovers. I put the budget variant (ST), same valving as the KWV1 in my Audi S6 Avant.

Whoa. Firm but compliant ride, terrific handling for a 4k lb pig. Really nice. Of course, the parts alone for the 986 are $1700+ and it requires corner weighting to get it perfect, so the cost is much larger than H&R and a few hours of my time. no ST option exists for porsche applications.

I'll mull it over. appreciate the input. I recall the look of your car from seeing it at Gundo's.

'later,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login