Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Puerto Rico Route 184
Jeff (Philly) - Wednesday, 27 February, 2013, at 9:37:01 am
My wife and I were in Puerto Rico this last week. The day before yesterday, based on a recommendation, we drove from San Juan south to a little town on PR 184 called Guavate. There is a place there called El Rancho Original that roasts pigs on a spit and serves pork that is great and memorable, $9 for a pound carved off the pig on the spit right in front of you. After a pork lunch we continue south on 184 through the Bosque Estatal De Carite National Preserve. PR 184 takes you through the rain forest and over the mountains that are the spine of Puerto Rico. We drove 184 to the south side of the island. I am reporting this here because 184 is probably one of the curviest roads I have ever driven and the pork is far better than the crab at Waterman's. Driving through the rain forest with bamboo lining the road was beautiful. The only problems were avoiding hitting Iguanas and having to drive a Kia rental car and not my Boxster.

Lots of Cayennes in San Jaun and I saw one 911 while I was there.

Weather in San Juan is 84 and sunny every day all year.

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
¡Bueno! *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 27 February, 2013, at 9:49:13 am
If you liked 184 ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 27 February, 2013, at 1:35:51 pm
... you should also drive 181, just east of 184.
When I lived in PR I had to service equipment throughout the island.
I loved going to Patillas and taking 184 south and then 181 returning.
I did have a 16V GTI at the time, so it was a lot of fun.
Enjoy the Isle of Enchantment and be careful especially in San Juan.
Happy Kia'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 09:34AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Pedro, why did you ever leave such a beautiful place?
Jeff (Philly) - Wednesday, 27 February, 2013, at 2:59:31 pm
Last week we stayed in Condado in a 10th floor condo we rented on the beach side of Ashford Ave. overlooking the the Caribbean. We spent three days seeing Old Town San Juan, one day on the beach and two days driving around. We also drove out to the Parque Forestal La Marquesa and saw the aviary there. We plan at least two more trips to Puerto Rico where we want to stay in other parts of the island, maybe once on the west end and then on the east end of the island near Fajardo. I will try to work in a trip up or down 181. Thanks for the tip.

Puerto Rico is a paradise where the English language is useful, they use US$ for their currency and your USA nationwide cell plan works. It is like going to Minnesota but a lot warmer.

I took some video which I will edit and put up on You Tube when I get a chance. The time in the Aviary with all the hundreds of different parrots squawking should be great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login