Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Negotiating price of new Boxster
Joanne in OC - Tuesday, 12 March, 2013, at 2:16:24 am
How much can I expect to have the price reduced? Today I went online and put all my option in for the car. Total price was about $62K. When I asked for a "quote" and chose a dealer the price went down by about $1K. I chose differen dealers and the reduction was the same.

1 dealer here in SoCal, told me he would reduce the price by 5%. Can I expect to get more since he offered it so quickly? Would this be 5% off the $62K or the reduce price of $61K. I know it' only a $50 difference, but would like to know how to discuss it.

Thanks
Joanne
Re: Negotiating price of new Boxster
MikenOH - Tuesday, 12 March, 2013, at 8:59:33 am
When I went through this last summer; I contacted 6 dealers--5 in state, one out of state.
I visited two dealers local, went through cars.com to get an offer on another three non-local dealers and emailed directly the out of state dealership.

The out of state guy was not helpful and I don't think he was serious; he talked about 1% only on a specked car.

The two locals I visited both started off with 1-2% off but indicated that they were there was still cash on the table.

The Cars.com experience was "interesting": two dealers refused to make a serious offer because I was a distance away and suggested I deal with the local dealer. The last one cut to the chase and agreed to cut the price 6% on an ordered car. Keep in mind I had a 987 to trade so there was money to be made by the dealerships on both sides of this deal.

With my 6% offer I went back two the two locals. Dealer A said I'll get back to you (never did); dealer B met the price.
When we got down to the details, found out that the first guy offering the 6% didn't actually have an allocation--he was trying to finagle one from another dealer, while dealer B had a slot ready for production that could be configured how I wanted. Add to that, dealer B wanted my car now at a decent trade price; the cars.com guy didn't, deferring to the "we'll do the deal when the new one comes in" approach.

Given the uncertainly of the cars.com dealer's offer, I did the deal with the remaining local dealership; had the car delivered 8 weeks later. They did everything they said they would and there were no surprises (bad ones, anyway) along the way.

Now that the car has a been out a bit longer, I'd expect more flexibility from the dealer on pricing, but it may depend on demand in your region.
Best of luck with it.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 12 March, 2013, at 11:06:23 am
From what I have seen on the 981 Forum on P9, 5% is just about automatic now and if you work hard and there is a lot of competition in your area, you might get as much as 8 or 9% off list.
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 12 March, 2013, at 1:28:07 pm
8% should be very doable with a bit of persistance, Joanne.

Sounds like you know how you want it built. Lay out the options, don't forget the freight, and send emails to all the Porsche sales managers in CA, stating you'll buy-now for 9% off MSRP, with only taxes and tag fees added, no make ready charges. You'll get bites, for sure, and an 8 or 9% off order. That's a nice savings.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
They are coming down smiling smiley
Joanne in OC - Tuesday, 12 March, 2013, at 5:44:12 pm
When I was at the dealer a few weeks ago, they told me 5% off. So, cost of car comes to $61,910. 5?% off brings it to $58814.

He just told me he'd go to $58K plus tax and licensing.

I now have a call into the other dealer smiling smiley ..... They told me they would negotiate but haven't given me the amount yet. I asked yesterday and he had to speak with the sales manager.

Joanne
Try this on your next test drive.... grinning smiley
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 1:53:16 pm
Too much fun punking the sales guy drinking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Oh, God....the finger smiley
MikenOH - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 2:18:52 pm
The salesman must have thought his life was ending, as Jeff rotates the car this way and that.

My wife tried something along these lines on a Mazda salesman years ago--nothing close to what Jeff was doing--but she wanted to see how the then new RX8 handled.
Should have seen the expression on the salesman's face as she took the freeway on ramp at speed--priceless. I was in the back seat trying not to laugh out loud.
Re: Oh, God....the finger smiley
Wayne K - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 4:10:53 pm
That's a classic. Thanks for sharing.
....but Jeff must have ruined that poor guys undies cool smiley

Such FUN!!!!!
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 5:01:26 pm
I would luv to do that, just with I had the talent
Joanne
Sorry, that commercial is a fake
patrick - Friday, 15 March, 2013, at 11:58:06 pm
Say it ain't so..sad smiley
MikenOH - Saturday, 16 March, 2013, at 8:45:50 am
As funny as it was, you had to doubt the Pepsi legal beagles would sign off on a stunt that would put a middle aged sales person in the middle of that mayhem without being prepared for it. Have to say, he was a great actor as was the stunt driver.
Re: Say it ain't so..sad smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 16 March, 2013, at 10:46:05 pm
I've also never had a test drive at a dealership where I was a stranger without showing my drivers licence.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
So what....still lots of fun cool smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Saturday, 16 March, 2013, at 11:12:52 pm
This is a surprise? *NM*
grant - Wednesday, 20 March, 2013, at 12:13:31 pm
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login