Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Michelin Tire Question
Mixster - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 1:12:02 pm
Looking for some insight into changing tires models.

Background: 2005 Boxster S w/ 19" wheels. 235/35 ZR19 (Front) and 265/35 ZR 19 (Rear) OEM Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. This is NOT a track car...mostly a weekend driver.

I got 15K on the original set and 15K on the replacements...another set of the OEM Pilot Sport PS2's. The rears were worn to the point that they needed to be replaced within another 1K. The fronts were not worn as much and were OK, but I replaced all four at the same time just to be done with it for another 15K miles.

I need to replace tires again so I checked Tire Rack and found the price for the PS2's -- $1486 before shipping. I then checked the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they were -- $1112. (Both the PS2's and the Super Sports are Z rated.)

So, I called Tire Rack to ask about the PS2's vs. the Super Sports. The associate told me that the Super Sports were much better than the PS2's in terms of performance, expected mileage, etc. He said that the PS2's carried an N2 designation just because they were OEMs for Porsche and the Super Sports did not have the N rating, but he felt were much better tires.

My questions are: Anyone have experience with the Super Sports? Is the N2 designation important?

Thanks in advance.

Mixster
('05 987S, Basalt, Grey, Black)
Re: Michelin Tire Question
decay - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 5:04:39 pm
Asking about tires in a car forum is about as volatile as asking about what brand and kind of oil to use. Everyone will swear they have the answer. I have Pilot Super Sports and love them. I find them to be quieter than the PS2s and the Continentals. By all measures, most people like the Super Sports better than the PS2s. From what I gather from both BMW and Porsche boards, the lack of rating for the tire accounts for the difference in price. If they were to see the coveted 'N rating' , or the BMW rating, which I think is a 'star rating', the manufacturer has to pay for it, and hence a higher price, but not necessarily a better tire. Having said that, I saw Pedro last week, and he is less of a fan of Michelins. He likes one of the two South Korean companies, either Kuhmo or Hankook, I can't remember. So, in a roundabout way, since you are not tracking the car, get what you will make you happy. If the PS2s wear too quickly for you, try something else.
Is the N designation important....?
MikenOH - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 5:53:13 pm
Oh, boy here we go--get out the popcorn smiling smiley.

Regarding the PS2, I've had them with the N2 designation and they were great tires. I did replace them with non- Michelins that were about 2/3 the cost of the PS2's (GY F1 Asym) and I thought they were good replacements.

I've not owned the SS tires but have also heard good things about them.

The PS2 has been around for a long time--IIRC, it came out around 2003. Like anything else, tire design evolves and would expect the SS to benefit from what Michelin has learned over the years since the PS2 came out.

If I were looking for a Max Perf. tire right now for the 981, to be used for street driving, I think the SS would be the ticket.

Here's a link to MT, where Michelin supplied some data regarding the performance differences between the two tires:
[www.motortrend.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 06:10PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Re: Goodyear F1 Asymetrical
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 6:59:14 pm
MikenOH
GY F1 Asym

Mike,

Would you mind giving us a review. I wouldn't mind trying those when it is time for a new set.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 07:00PM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
Re: Goodyear F1 Asymetrical
MikenOH - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 9:02:15 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio
MikenOH
GY F1 Asym

Mike,

Would you mind giving us a review. I wouldn't mind trying those when it is time for a new set.

GY F1 Asymetric:

Pro:
-Quiet
-Smooth, supple ride
-Long wearing: 18K on fronts and 9 K on rears both about 1/2 worn when I traded the car.
-Good handling: decent turn-in, good dry traction/braking, excellent wet traction. Functioned well on the track if not over heated.
-Reasonably priced: about 70% of what PS2's went for when I bought them.
-Good quality: no issues with vibration/balancing

Con:
Would flat spot if not used for a few days; was excessive when the tires were new--I thought the wheels had not been torqued properly the driving the day after they were installed, but smoothed out after 10-15 miles and became less of an issue as the miles added up.

Summary: Very similar performance to the PS2 for about 70% of the price, but flat spotted unlike the PS2.

-
Dave In MD - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 7:28:23 pm
I bought a Cayman under CPO from a dealer back in September last year. The car came with new Michelin super sports. I've never had the PS2s, so I can't speak to the comparison but the SS tires are definitely very good handling steet tires. We'll see how the wear goes. As for the N rating, it's the "spec" tire for Porsche new cars but the dealer obviously didn't seem to care about it. In all my sets of replacement tires for my Boxster I've actually never bought an N rated tire.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Discussed many times in the past
grant - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 8:46:02 pm
Ive had first had experience with both (not on porsches). SS >> PS2.

Now, N ratings are simply porsche approval. Many things come into play - is the tire submitted, do they pay the fee, etc.

I heard indirectly from PCNA that the super sport is not getting an N designation, despite its higher performacne, because its break-away characteristics are less forgiving than the PS2, and that is not good for the average buyers who are not experienced drivers at the edge (most of us).

That is an issue, but i felt they were quite communicative up to that point.

They also chunk under "autox on lousy surface" use.

IMHO, buy them. I can't in my car's size.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: 'N' Rated Tires
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Thursday, 28 March, 2013, at 7:35:38 pm
grant
Now, N ratings are simply porsche approval. Many things come into play - is the tire submitted, do they pay the fee, etc

Grant

There is an article on tires in the latest issue of Excellence that describes what goes into tires getting the 'N' rating. It was informative.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
I've ordered the Super Sports ...
Mixster - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 9:01:04 pm
Thanks for the information and feedback.

I placed my order with Tire Rack and plan to have the tires installed next week. After some drive time, I'll post my impression of how they stack up against the PS2's. After having three Boxsters all with PS2's it'll be interesting to see how the Super Sports compare.

Separately, it's great to have a place like Pedro's Board to ask questions and seek opinions. I've been a patron of PPBB and PB since 1999 (and through 3 Boxsters) and the people on the boards have always been extremely helpful and knowledgable.

Mixster
('05 987S, Basalt, Grey, Black)
500+ ought to be good. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 10:30:18 pm
So, 5 hours after he gets them *NM*
Boxsterra - Friday, 29 March, 2013, at 2:18:06 am
That's about right! *NM*
Laz - Friday, 29 March, 2013, at 12:45:58 pm
Cris - Wednesday, 27 March, 2013, at 11:48:29 pm
I am due for a new set of tires. I'm currently running Hankook Ventus v12 and they've lasted me about 17k miles, including 12+ track days @ Sebring, couple autox'es and 3 trips from S. FL to BRBS + related shenanigans. They are great tires, seem to last forever.. I probably still have about 2 - 3k street miles before rears are at the wear bars. That also means fronts will last few more 1000's. Anyways, I think this time around I'll go for Michelin Super Sports... They run about 350 more for the set compared to the Hankooks. And if you wonder why would spend 50% more for the super sports if the Hankooks are so great... I had a slight vibration to the fronts (which I contributed to inconsistent manufacturing/QC). I know others have no problem with the Hankooks, and I have no doubt if I didn't have problems with these, I would most certainly get another set. BTW, Hankook was more than willing to replace the bad tires on day 1. However, I would have had to pay for remounting/and shipping the things back. Just much of a hassle.

BTW, If you use Fatwallet, there is a 3% cash back for shopping at Tire Rack and there is a $70 Visa card rebate on the Super Sports. Which should save you some money still. Rebate offer expires on April 15. I have to order my tires this weekend!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login