Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Nice Drives In and Around LA for a New 981 Boxster?
AS2003 - Thursday, 28 March, 2013, at 2:26:44 pm
Greetings Wise Friends,

I'm going to be visiting LA over the next several days and I decided to splurge and test out a 981 while I am there. I have heard nightmares about traffic. Can anyone kindly recommend some nice scenic places to drive where I can actually stretch the cars legs and get a good sense of its handling? I would preferably like to go south, as I will be heading to the more scenic north in a more mundane rental car later in the week. Thanks in advance. I'll provide a follow up report on the 981 when I get back.

P.S. Also happy to receive recommendations on where to stay and what to see in LA. Thanks!

Current 987.5
Past 986.5
Re: Nice Drives In and Around LA for a New 981 Boxster?
db997S - Thursday, 28 March, 2013, at 3:22:31 pm
I'd stay at The Shade Hotel in Manhattan Beach. If you do, eat at the Strand House, which is only a couple of blocks from The Shade. The hotel loans you beach comber bikes and you can ride north and/or south along the strand to other beach towns, easy, flat rides and they aren't too far apart. As far as the Boxster, not certain when you say "test out a 981" if you are going for a dealer test ride or renting one. If renting one and you have the time, drive to Malibu and then pick up Mulholland Drive back to the 405 essentially at Beverly Hills. This takes you through the Santa Monica Mountains. If possible, due this during the week. If staying more towards LA, then you'll take the 10 to Santa Monica to get to Malibu. If you do this, you have to hit Venice/Muscle Beach. Quinessential LA beach scene with lots of "street" performers and great people watching, though, with the medical marijuanna dispenseries, it may be a bit more seedy then when I did it a long time ago. It is really close to Santa Monica, which you should do and hit the pier there. Nice shopping and cafes to refuel yourself before heading towards Malibu. The PCA can be very heavy traffic wise, but with the top down, the sun shinning, does it really matter as you'll soon hit Mulholland and the mountains. I'd also suggest stopping on Rodeo Drive if you do the Mullholland as it takes you back towards Beverly Hills. The famous area is only a couple of blocks long, but you've seen it in countless movies. If the Dodgers are in town (seasnon begins Monday), you have to go to Dodger Stadium. If you want to check out the Hollywood sign, be careful on your Internet search. A lot of locals who live near it have put bogus directions up to keep the tourists out of their neighborhoods. Not sure if it is still the case, but there's another famous, more funky than shiek, shopping district on Melrose Ave. Catch a movie at Grauman's Chinese Theater, or at least check out the cement hands. It's not too far from Melorose Ave. Griffin Observatory has some great views of LA, but you need to catch it on a clear day. I haven't done this, but the Getty Museum is supposed to be spectacular, if you are into museums. If you are into animal rights and care about the treatment of farm animals, you can go to the Farm Sanctuary, which is north and east of LA, only about 45 mins in a town called Acton. This is the smallest of the three farm sanctuaries, but they do provide tours. Have a blast. If CA ever gets its act together financially and stops taxing the heck out of its citizens, in ten or twelve years, i may just retire in Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica.

If you like movies, one other thought is to do a topdown drive along Sunset Blvd. This is where all the movies adverstise on billboards. Going topless will add to the visual experience. Traffic is heavy, but since you'll be gaucking, that's all the better.
Thanks!
AS2003 - Friday, 29 March, 2013, at 12:24:02 pm
Thank you for the thoughtful replies and recommendations. This is very helpful! I'll have a Boxster for a few days out there so I am hoping for nice weather.
jpv42 - Thursday, 28 March, 2013, at 7:12:52 pm
How about the Petersen Auto Museum. The Mullin auto museum in Oxnard will also have things for your wife to do. The down side is it is only open on Saturdays.

[petersen.org]

[www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com]

[www.nethercuttcollection.org]
Laz - Friday, 29 March, 2013, at 12:45:07 pm
This is a breathtakingly beautiful place:
[en.wikipedia.org]
You can't drive up to it, but park below and take the tram to the top.

Some day drive the Coastal Highway at least between San Luis Obispo and Monterey. Stop at Nepenthe in (on?) Big Sur.
[www.google.com]
the mountains
Steve (Morro Bay) - Friday, 29 March, 2013, at 8:25:11 pm
I've lived in various parts of California for years. My all time favorite drive in the LA area is the Glendora Ridge Road. [goo.gl]

Here's what it looks like: [youtu.be]

I wouldn't go near sunset or hollywood blvds unless you enjoy traffic jams.
Re: the mountains
AS2003 - Friday, 29 March, 2013, at 8:35:48 pm
Glendora Ridge Road looks perfect. Getting there from the Santa Monica area looks tricky. Any suggestions on beating the traffic and where best to pick the road up from the west?
Re: the mountains
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 30 March, 2013, at 12:09:42 am
Any way that you can get to glendora ridge road will be fine. From Santa Monica, it will likely take an hour before you are off the freeway if you leave when there's no weekday traffic (say, between 10am and 3pm, or before 7am). You would probably go 10E, to 605N, to 210E. From there, I like to get off at Azusa ave, and drive around reservoir the with its curious WWII era (I think) testing ramps, then East fork to Glendora mountain road by some weird river mining camp looking things. Once you reach mount baldy, you can return by a faster road back to the 210. Or you can double back and see the rest of glendora mountain rd, which is nice if you have time.

The other roads are nice too, angeles crest (hwy 2) and any route from malibu back over the mountains into the city, but those tend to be overly popular. This one was my favorite largely because fewer people seemed to use it. That, and I like that it's an actual ridge, with cliff/hill on both sides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2013 12:24AM by Steve (Iowa). (view changes)
I suggest that he heads straight to angeles crest and take it for the full 60+ miles of twisties to wrightwood for breakfast. He can then return back or take the 15 to the 210 freeway for a faster return trip. Watch out for chp for the first half (until you reach newcomb ranch). From n.r. to wrightwood a lot less traffic and enforcement. You can good practice on your technique.
I wouldn't drive around malibu or santa monica mtns. Too much local traffic and police.

The best time to start ach is early in the morning. A late start means slower moving vehicles. :.) Tomorrow should be a great drive day. Possible rain sunday afternoon.

My favorite la area drive, unless you hit pch any direction (Seal beach to dana point or santa monica to northern malibu) very very early in the morning.

Enjoy.
LA is a big area..... what are you staying in?
Joanne in OC - Friday, 29 March, 2013, at 9:04:31 pm
Depending on the area for drives, Angeles Crest Hwy is great especially in the Boxster with the twisty roads. Another is Malibu Canyon, beautiful vistas of the ocean, and nice houses, with lots of twisty and hairpin turns. ..... Heading south on the coast with the top is fun as well. If you get into Orange County there are other roads as well.

As far as things to do, depending on your interests and time, many choices. You have some good choices above, but other things as well.

Have fun and enjoy
Joanne
or take a whale watching trip out of dana point or long beach? I am not sure if they depart out of san pedro too? The whales can occassionally be seen off the palos verde peninsula at this time of year. Trump golf course and clubhouse is near the viewing areas too.
Battleships are awesome! I saw the New Jersey in action in 1967 as it tossed big rounds over my head at nearby enemy positons.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login