Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
how to tell I need new clutch
boxster99 - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 9:00:05 am
Hi folks,

What symptoms should I look for to tell that I need new clutch? It is not slipping or anything right now but it is sometimes hard to shift when it is cold.

I am not a mechanic nor expert on car. I am thinking about replacing my '99 35K miles clutch (and LN IMS at the same time) I assume I have a double bearing IMS?
If I do, what price range would it cost me.

Thanks,
Tony
Re: how to tell I need new clutch
Rob in CO - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 9:48:44 am
Typical symptoms are engagement higher and higher on the pedal and various rattles and noises. 35K is pretty young for an unabused clutch as the wear/friction parts don't really deteriorate just with age. The dual mass flywheel might, I suppose but I think it also wears more by mileage. They all shift a bit hard when cold so don't use that as a symptom. Make your judgement when the car is fully warmed up.

As far as cost...I have never done one but I think $2K parts and labor for clutch give or take depending on which shop you go to. LN IMS adds $700 or so in parts and a few hundred more in labor, I would guess as most of the work is shared with the clutch replacement. I would do RMS as well while they are there. It would add very little to the overall cost.

Someone who has had the work done can weigh in with a more accurate opinion on the cost. It is probably a next year project for me so I would like to know as well.
car doesnt go :-)
grant - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 9:54:40 am
More seriously:

1. drive down street. Put car in higher gear (4-6). Floor it. Does it slip at all? --> yes
2. Is the pedal getting really tough to push? --> yes

Tell us more about "tough to shift when cold". Get really specific.

That said, i'l guess among the vagueness. Especially a synchros wear, when transmissions are cold, its nearly impossible to get them in gear unless you match revs. This should be alleviated greatly as they warm up. This is especially true of the 6-sp 986/987 trannies (not the 5-sp Audi trannies).

That has NOTHING to do with the clutch. A change of gear oil may help[, but i think its just a sign of age and temperature.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Doesn't read like the clutch is bad...
MarcW - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 11:10:07 am
boxster99
Hi folks,

What symptoms should I look for to tell that I need new clutch? It is not slipping or anything right now but it is sometimes hard to shift when it is cold.

I am not a mechanic nor expert on car. I am thinking about replacing my '99 35K miles clutch (and LN IMS at the same time) I assume I have a double bearing IMS?
If I do, what price range would it cost me.

Thanks,
Tony

The 99's can go through clutches quickly but unless you are a clutch abuser it is hard to imagine the clutch worn out after just 35K miles.

A clutch can go bad and not slip. One such problem is the clutch fails to release fully. While there are various causes one is the hydraulic system needs to be flushed and bled.

When was the last time the clutch fluid system (and the brake fluid system -- they share fluid) flushed and bled?

If you can't remember or it has been more than 2 years ago I'd have this done first. Afterwards you can have the tech test drive the car and give you his feedback on the clutch feels.

Hard to shift needs clarification. These transmissions are a bit balky when cold. 75w-90 fluid will do that. The tranny on my 02 Boxster changed its shifting feel after nearly 90K miles and I had the transmission fluid changed which improved the shifting noticeably. However, with just 35K miles on your tranny's fluid I'm not sure a fluid change is called for. It cost me 0.3 hours labor (at a dealer) and while the fluid is around $40/liter and the 5-speed needs 3 liters I got a discount (this last time) and only paid $5/liter. Even if you have to pay the full price for the fluid this service is cheaper than an unnecessary clutch job.

One "test" is to with everything warmed up with the car on level ground with the clutch fully depressed you should be able to move the shift lever from any gear to any other gear without any difficulty.

If you can't do this now then before you go to the expense of having a new clutch installed have the brake/clutch hydraulic fluid system flushed and bled, unless of course you just had this done and and the symptoms remain. Then you might consider having the tranny fluid replaced.

While the tranny fluid service costs a bit of money it is less money than a new clutch if a new clutch is not needed.
Hold off for a little longer ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 4:06:22 pm
... before you take down your tranny.
We will have very soon a new product that will be of very high interest for any Boxster owner from 1997 through 2008.
Stay tuned, just a little longer.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Yes, maybe that's what's TBA. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 9:14:54 pm
No, WDA....Weibischer Dobbelkupplungsgetriebe drinking smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Saturday, 6 April, 2013, at 2:49:59 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: Hold off for a little longer ...
danz76 - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 7:20:11 pm
Okay Pedro, now I'm intrigued....
It will be made public at BRBS 15! *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 6 April, 2013, at 8:09:20 am
Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Jaay - Saturday, 6 April, 2013, at 3:53:43 pm
Pedro, I need to do a new flywheel and clutch set soon. I will not be at Brbs this year unfortunately. Should I wait for your big announcement? Feel free to email me with any insight. Djmanjay@yahoo.com thank you.
Jaay - Monday, 8 April, 2013, at 8:18:29 pm
So...............I need a new flywheel. Should I wait for your announcement? I don't want to not drive the car till June. The flywheel in my car is chattering away and I don't want to snap the crank with all the harmonics stuff. Some insight please Pedro smiling smiley Just let me know if I should go ahead and buy a new clutch package and will it work with whatever awesomeness you have in store for us. Thank you.
How did you determine this? How many miles?
grant - Monday, 8 April, 2013, at 9:20:32 pm
I just swapped a used flywheel into a car with the original at 197k.

I replaced my track car's clutch prematurely (dont ask) with aperfect flywheel at 40k

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: How did you determine this? How many miles?
Jaay - Monday, 8 April, 2013, at 10:17:46 pm
Just from experience of the sound.
Just wait a couple of weeks *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 8 April, 2013, at 11:51:14 pm
Pedro Bonilla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login