Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
986 strut/.spring swap
grant - Saturday, 6 April, 2013, at 11:45:26 am
I'm looking for BTDT on replacing the struts on a 986 - e.g. M030 or PSS9. I've done the job on my audi, and might not try it again without a lift. But it *looks* like the boxster is much easier.

It seems that if i disconnect the various brake lines, drop links, tie rod ends, i can:

1. undo the top 3 nuts (easy)
2. push the mess down (we'll see)
3. loosen the nut that clamps (it does, right) the strut body into the hub
4. tilt and pull the mess out

Is it really that easy?

What are the gotchas?

I'm familiar with leveling and corner weighting once done.

Which CA bushings do i need to re-torque at the new neutral ride height?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: 986 strut/.spring swap
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Saturday, 6 April, 2013, at 6:12:14 pm
The rears are more complex because you have to detach the axle out of the wheel carrier (the big 340 fl/lb nut). The wheel carrier will be attached to nothing but the parking brake cable while you have the strut out for swapping.

On both ends, I think you also have to pop the ball joint apart as well. The one that connects the control arm to the wheel carrier. We definitely did that when changing springs a couple of weeks ago.
And remove the wheel speed sensor, etc. You don't want the lowered wheel carrier pulling on anything like the wheel speed sensor cable or brake line. Apparently stress on the wheel speed sensor cable can break it internally and lead to an ABS light on the dash.
Thanks - all great suggestions.
grant - Saturday, 6 April, 2013, at 10:09:16 pm
I'm quite familiar with axle bolts and the ABS rings from working on my Audi (same issue on all 4 corners)

Grant

Grant

At $20, the price is right and it's plenty good enough.

[www.harborfreight.com]

No reason to remove the axle nut
986rgt - Monday, 8 April, 2013, at 7:36:21 pm
Instead, disconnect the half shaft at the transmission, 6 or 8 hex bolts if I remember. Then you just have to articulate the suspension a bit and the half shaft will drop allowing you the extra mopement you will need to remove the strut assembly.

Steve

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
thanks. Axle nuts are no big deal, just tight. *NM*
grant - Monday, 8 April, 2013, at 9:21:06 pm
Grant

Good point -- That was indeed the other option, but was deemed more of a PITA to work on all those little axle retaining bolts deep in around the boot than to remove the axle bolt. YMMV.
strongly agree, at least on Audis and VWs *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 9 April, 2013, at 12:27:16 pm
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login