Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
battery for 2000 boxster
kosiba - Sunday, 7 April, 2013, at 2:11:47 pm
My 2000 Boxster S has a dead battery. I'm going to ask dumb questions.

What is different about Porsche batteries- can't I just run the dead one over to sears and replace it with the appropriate die hard?

What is "venting"?

Are there any tricks associated with the swap?

Sincere thanks.
3 years 100% swap out, 100-month warranty.

The DieHard in my Audi is now 51/2 years old and acting like a new battery. That speaks well.

In my two boxsters i have a:

1. interstate. Meh. They are fine, i guess. Warranty is a bit flaky.
2.Deka - bought from my neighbor to give him business. They check out well and he says good things about them. Too new for me to comment, check back in 5 years :-)

Older 986s need a group 48.

Replacement is very easy. B4 2003 you need the radio code. After you don't. Dont let anyone tell you its a problem to disconnect the battery - chasing airbag issues i have done it ~ 20 times int he last 2 months. Zero issues except re-setting window limit switches (run up, run down, done)

$150 or so is the going price. Less at a bog box store - exact fit may be an issue and quality unknown.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: battery for 2000 boxster
kosiba - Sunday, 7 April, 2013, at 6:02:34 pm
What's the vent? Does the diehard have it?
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 7 April, 2013, at 6:09:39 pm
kosiba
What's the vent? Does the diehard have it?

Most new batteries have it.
It's a small hole on either side of the top of the battery that allows the hydrochloride fumes generated when the battery is being charge to exhaust to the outside.
The Boxster has a clear tubing that connects to the right side of the battery vent. The left side vent needs to be plugged. The battery may come with two plugs so that you remove the correct one.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 7 April, 2013, at 6:06:38 pm
kosiba
My 2000 Boxster S has a dead battery. I'm going to ask dumb questions.

What is different about Porsche batteries- can't I just run the dead one over to sears and replace it with the appropriate die hard?

What is "venting"?

Are there any tricks associated with the swap?

Sincere thanks.

The things to consider when installing a new battery in a Boxster are:
You need the correct size (base and height)
You need the correct pole positioning
You need the battery to have a vent tube.

Most of the larger battey vendors will have compatible batteries to fit any Porsche.
I highly recommend the Bosch white-box batteries sold at PepBoys

Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
so that the existing hardware will grab it securely. On ours it is two molded tabs that protrude, about 3/8" high, out both the left and the right side. The left catches in a metal tab. The right is held down by a tab that you can remove with a 13mm bolt.

By contrast, some manufacturers hold down batteries with tabs front and rear; others use a bar across the top.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 07:19PM by grant. (view changes)
And last but not least
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 7 April, 2013, at 7:53:01 pm
The size of the battery for the Tiptronic is different from that for the manual transmission for some model years.

The 986 (Model years 1997-2004) takes a BCI Group 48 (12.1X 6.9 X 7.6"), the 987 (2005-) takes a BCI Group 94R ( 12.4 X 6.9 X 7.5 "); both right hand positive terminal. The 94R is also slightly lower in CCA.

The 986 Tiptronic battery is bigger than the manual transmission version. They are listed this way in the general section of the official repair manuals:
Ah/A 60/280 Manual
Ah/A 70/320 Tiptronic
So buy a bigger CCA battery if you live in colder climes, drive a TIP Boxster, or have a bigger amp in the car.
Even 'laster'
Roger987 - Sunday, 7 April, 2013, at 8:29:57 pm
I like to get one that has a long non-pro-rated warranty.
Rob in CO - Monday, 8 April, 2013, at 11:34:57 am
I just replaced a 9.5 year old Interstate with their current model. Easy swap, fits fine, no complaints. $156.
Re: When To Replace the Battery?
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Tuesday, 9 April, 2013, at 7:23:05 pm
This topic leads me to the above question. I have a five year old Moll that came with the car. My load tester says the battery is putting out 11.2V. No problems so far, but am wondering is now is the time?

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
jwdbox - Tuesday, 9 April, 2013, at 7:49:20 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio
This topic leads me to the above question. I have a five year old Moll that came with the car. My load tester says the battery is putting out 11.2V. No problems so far, but am wondering is now is the time?
My guess Kevin is that you are getting close. SilverBox got 5.5 years and then within a few days went from a slow turn over out of the blue to needing to be replaced. [I wrote up the replacement in another thread here a few weeks ago.] If you can be somewhat flexible on being without the car for a couple of days I would suggest you id a suitable replacement (I got mine, an AGM type shipped from Amazon) and wait until the first symtoms show. cool smiley
Rob in CO - Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, at 9:47:40 am
Slow engine turnover was my first symptom and inability to hold a full charge for any amount of time. I probably could have limped mine a bit longer but did not want any hassles once track season starts.
drop below 9.6 volts. Thus at 11.2 volts (provided you are doing a real load test) the battery would appear to be in good shape.

The original (Moll) battery in my 02 Boxster lasted nearly 7 years, only having to be replaced after I left the car parked for a week with an OBD2 code reader plugged in to the OBD port.

'course the replacement Moll battery lasted way less time than nearly 7 years, maybe around just 2 years. Long enough to be out of warranty...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login