Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Some New Options Appearing on Incoming Inventory? (2014s?)
AS2003 - Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, at 4:53:26 pm
I was perusing the inventory of some dealers (labeled 2013s) and I came across some interesting option codes I have not seen before for the 981, including:

690 - Porsche Online Pro CD Radio
P04 - Sport Package 6-spd plus PASM
P91 - Warm Weather Package
P93 - Sport Pkg. Without Sport Seats

and my favorite: 423 - Coin & Cassette Holder

Where is the 8-Track Holder holder option?
If Guenter doesn't order at 981 with P04 this year, it ain't never gonna happen. winking smiley
Canada gets the short end
Roger987 - Thursday, 11 April, 2013, at 9:05:14 am
Want the new BMW 3 series wagon in Canada? Want to be able to choose from more than a couple options?

Well, in that case, you're going to have to wait a while, and buy one used from the US market and pay 6% duty. (Mind you, the lower MSRP in the US makes up for it. Why does BMW charge more in Canada? Because it can.)

And BMW has the audacity to complain no one will buy its wagons.

Rant off.
Re: Canada gets the short end
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 11 April, 2013, at 9:39:08 am
Roger987
Want the new BMW 3 series wagon in Canada? Want to be able to choose from more than a couple options?

Well, in that case, you're going to have to wait a while, and buy one used from the US market and pay 6% duty. (Mind you, the lower MSRP in the US makes up for it. Why does BMW charge more in Canada? Because it can.)

And BMW has the audacity to complain no one will buy its wagons.

Rant off.

I don't think that price is the reason that people don't buy wagons. Wagons just aren't "in" SUV's are. So when people shop, they've got to have an SUV. On the other hand, we've had quite a few compliments on the wagon and people are amazed at how much cargo space it has.

All the manufacturers (at least VW, Audi and Porsche) charge a premium in Canada over the US. Likely for two reasons. Historically, the CDN dollar goes for quite a bit less than the US dollar, so in the past they've been more expensive here. If they drop the price of their cars too much (Porsche Canada did drop its prices by about 6K, for the Boxster a couple of years ago), it will decrease the value of the used vehicles. I agree that it's not fair.
Re: Canada gets the short end
Roger987 - Thursday, 11 April, 2013, at 10:26:33 am
I agree with what you say, Guenter. My post was a bit ambiguous.

There will be very limited number of options available on the wagon. In Canada, for instance, only the sport and modern lines will be available, with very limited interiors, unlike in the states, which gets the third 'luxury') line, with more exterior and interior options. Addi tonally, the US market will get a better selection of packaged and stand-alone options. And even more annoying - the European market can configure the 3 series wagon however they want it, right down to the most minute detail - for instance, they can get sports seats and paddle shifters without having to do the whole 'Ricky Racer' sports package.

If BMW Canada wants to sell wagons, restricting the options, including interior, is NOT going to help sales.

The price issue - you're right. Many people say 'Hey, for the same price I can get me A SUV, a MAN VEHICLE. Sure, it doesn't handle as well as a wagon, it guzzles gas gas, reduces visibility for other motorists, and often has no more (sometimes less) usable interior space. But, hey, it's an SUV !!! Marlboro man and all that.

And that's fine (to each his own), but it's frustrating that BMW brings the wagon into Canada, then virtually ensures lack of success by offering limited configurations, AND charging a premium over the sedan, making it cost as much as an SUV.

I hope Porsche offers Canadians as many options as they do south of the border.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login