Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Ragg Topp and paint
grant - Saturday, 13 April, 2013, at 9:34:17 am
Hi folks,

I have heard both ways on this topic, hence i'm asking again.

Since 'm fundamentally lazy, i don't want to mask my car off B4 applying ragg topp. I'm also wondering how quickly i need to wash off any overspray if we DO agree it is ok to over spray on to paint.

The can simply says to wipe any residue off the finish - not too much more.

Thanks,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
thanks Pedro *NM*
grant - Saturday, 13 April, 2013, at 1:30:10 pm
Grant

Re: Ragg Topp and paint
jwdbox - Sunday, 14 April, 2013, at 5:35:55 pm
I have used RaggTopp since about 6 months after SilverBox was new (almost 6 years now) and never protected the glass or body from what little overspray occured. It always cleans up easily with no problem. cool smiley
as did mine yesterday. Thanks. *NM*
grant - Sunday, 14 April, 2013, at 6:19:43 pm
Grant

San Rensho - Monday, 15 April, 2013, at 11:13:39 pm
Don't spray it. Use a brush and goober it on.
jwdbox - Tuesday, 16 April, 2013, at 4:02:48 pm
San Rensho
Don't spray it. Use a brush and goober it on.
I don't understand why you would recommend that approach. I have used RaggTopp spray cans for more than 5 years with SilverBox and the application is very easy with no masking required. Any overspray easily wipes off of body and glass with a microfiber cloth. The spray nicely penetrates the top and lasts at least 6 or so months. Here a a shot after about 6 months:

cool smiley
with only a yearly spray application to a washed and fully dry top. I never had any sign on a Arctic Silver car of any issues with using the spray. I did wipe off the overspray on the paint as I went but with an old towel.
gedwin - Wednesday, 17 April, 2013, at 8:37:03 am
I have used the protectant without the cleaner to good effect. I wash the car every week, hosing off the roof. I only apply soap to the roof once a month, and at that I use the Zymol car wash that I am washing the rest of the car with.

This has worked fine with 3 boxsters, and never had fabric problems. However, they were all black cars, and I wouldn't spray the Raggtop protectant without covering the paint. I found on the rear window if you don't get it all off soon after application, it gets tougher to remove. And on black paint, I don't want to be rubbing very hard because A. it's a lot of work, and 2. then you are polishing out swirls, etc. My experience, anyway...
I've gingerly sprayed it on then rubbed it in with a bare hand. Daubing it in with a soft, natural bristle brush seems like a good idea.
Not sure if the specific Ragg Top cleaner is necessary, as long as the top is clean and without soap residue. (Thorough final rinse with distilled water; and dry.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login