Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Why I bought my first Porsche back in 1982.
Jeff (Philly) - Sunday, 14 April, 2013, at 3:54:57 pm
I replied to Pedro's post below about four cylinder Boxster's which got me thinking about the Porsche four cylinder 924s and 944s. I thought it might be entertaining to tell you the story of how it came to be that I bought my first Porsche. My wife and I had just relocated from London back to Newport Beach CA in early 1982. We were living in a hotel. Our MGB (that Pattye bought in Washington DC and that we still have) was on a boat coming back from England. We were looking for a house and I needed to buy a car. I had a 1969 Camaro before we moved to England, which got me into some trouble with the cops, so I was looking to be more conservative. I was looking at Buick Regals which seemed to me to be a nice enough vehicle.

One evening my wife, Pattye, spotted an ad in the paper for a Porsche 924 at a very good price. With her urging we went to look at it. It was black, looked great and drove well. At the asking price it seemed to be a deal too good to be true and I was concerned that it might be stolen or whatever.

That night, as we lie in bed, my wife asked what I thought about the Porsche. I expressed my concerns about it being hot and being reluctant to move forward on it and she responded with "That is the difference between you an me, I am a Porsche person and you are a Buick Regal person" and then she rolled over and went to sleep.

The next day I bought the Porsche. I have continued to be a Porsche person ever since, initially for my wife but now for myself.

Jeff
Love Curves

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2013 04:18PM by Jeff (Philly). (view changes)
Re: Why I bought my first Porsche back in 1982.
Jeff (Philly) - Sunday, 14 April, 2013, at 4:28:34 pm
Oh yes, I should mention my wife is now driving a Mercedes SLK350 convertible so she is not really a Porsche person.

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
My first Porsche was...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 15 April, 2013, at 8:10:20 am
... a four cylinder also.
A 912.
A couple of years later I also had a 914 which didn't last too long as I traded it in for a 914-6.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Even if
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 15 April, 2013, at 8:58:38 am
your wife isn't a Porsche person any more, aren't you glad that she made you a convert? cool smiley
When I met my wife, she was driving her 914. I'm not saying that was a deal sealer, but we'll be celebrating our 25th in July!

Actually the driver, it was definitely love at first sight. As we raised kids, the 914 sat in need of major renovation. It was Joanie that convinced we to buy the Boxster. At 119k she's running as well as our marriage. We've made so many friends as a result of the car. Attending a BRBS is definitely on the bucket list. I've been spending too much time in Chuck's backyard in NC, but hope to spend more time behind the wheel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 03:04PM by BoxsterBob - San Carlos. (view changes)
After my wife got pregnant in 1983 we stored the 1974 MGB that she had when we first met in Georgetown in DC. It sat for 16 years in a shed up the hill by the pool. In 2000 my daughter was approaching driving age and I was under some pressure from her and her mom to restore the MGB. I did the restoration and taught my daughter how to drive in the MGB. I figured if she could drive that she could drive anything. She drove it to school during her senior year in 2001. Now it is in storage again and only comes out on rare occasions.The MGB and its restoration has a web page. Click Here.

I did teach my daughter to drive a stick with the Boxster, but only under my supervision. She's happy with her Beetle convertible.
Re: Why I bought my first Porsche back in 1982.
boxster99 - Monday, 15 April, 2013, at 3:55:42 pm
Took you 10 years to officially marry her? She must be a very good girl :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login