Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Clutch replacement advice- 2007 Base Boxster- 5 speed
chrismmm - Tuesday, 23 April, 2013, at 2:28:59 pm
I would like to hear any experiences good or bad regarding clutch replacement, clutch kit selection, etc before diving into a clutch kit replacement buy and subsequent shop work for same.

I believe my clutch is slippin during a normal daily drive when the RPM down wind, and I lightly hit the accelearator to get back up to proper speed and rpm, i dont hear anything and dont experience what I have previously assigned to sounds and the feel of a clutch that is burnt out. When the above situation occurs it is more of a rubbing sensation reverberating back through the clutch pedal. At that point in my drive i can either downshift to get back up to speed or continue to allow the system to lose speed. Its hard to describe. I am aware that a 6 year old clutch may need replacing. Earlier in the month I attributed the situation to needing a traansmission flush and filter, new oil. I did that anyways at 200$ and wanted to ensure THAT was not the issue. So at this point I blv it is clutch diminished performance.. Any relevant guidance and or comments welcome. If none received I will probably go with clutch kit and replacement in next few weeks.

Thanks and keep on Boxstering!

chrismmm: 2007-987 . jet black . north georgia
PCA PST member
Drive at a modest speed. Put the car in high gear (5th or 6th). Floor it. Does it slip?

Slipping is defined as the motor rpms rising faster than the road speed (mph).

Either the clutch holds under this high-stress situation, or it does not.

In lower gears it generally wont be felt until the clutch is nearly dead.

Other kinds of clutch failure have more to do with engagement and disengagement, not power transfer.

if you need a clutch get OEM or a sachs sport clutch kit, about $750.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
There you go! But how do you know you need one? *NM*
grant - Wednesday, 24 April, 2013, at 7:07:08 pm
Grant

Re: There you go! But how do you know you need one?
chrismmm - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 3:25:56 pm
thx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 03:34PM by chrismmm. (view changes)
Re: There you go! But how do you know you need one?
chrismmm - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 3:33:07 pm
i followed your suggestion in previous post and read a few articles on clutch replacement for 987s. thanks
we all learn if you detail what you did and what you found. That's why we all contribute.

Grant

Grant

Remember that ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 24 April, 2013, at 11:18:12 pm
chrismmm
i see that pelican parts has these sachs 3 piece kits for 491$.

... you get what you pay for.
Why try to save a couple of hundred dollars on a cheap clutch when it may last less than half the life of an OEM or a Sachs and it will cost you the same to install?
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Grant

It may be Sachs ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 2:42:59 pm
... but it's still a cheap clutch.
Sachs has the Sachs Performance line which is equivalent to OEM, but they offer several bargain models which IMNSHO are worthless.
Same thing with Zimmerman. They manufacture the OEM brake rotors, but they offer cheap aftermarket substitutes which are less than desirable.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Remember that ...
chrismmm - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 3:35:05 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
chrismmm
i see that pelican parts has these sachs 3 piece kits for 491$.

... you get what you pay for.
Why try to save a couple of hundred dollars on a cheap clutch when it may last less than half the life of an OEM or a Sachs and it will cost you the same to install?
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

thats exactly the kind of feedback i need to hear. Thank you. I will look at the performance line.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login