Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
987 - 981 measurements comparison
Laz - Friday, 26 April, 2013, at 8:04:24 am
Interesting article at Planet-9, particularly the conjecture concerning the rear deck height:
[www.planet-9.com]
Re: 987 - 981 measurements comparison
MikenOH - Friday, 26 April, 2013, at 9:11:46 am
Interesting info; significant area of cargo space lost behind the seats in the Cayman on the 981. On the 981 Boxster the major loss of space seems to be in the rear trunk--bad if you're a golfer--despite the fact the published numbers seem the same.
Regarding front and rear fender height, our 981S with SS is at roughly 27.5"F and 27.75" R--say 13mm in front and 20mm in the rear. Lower for sure than the stock suspension, but nothing near what the author had with his Damptronic setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 09:29AM by MikenOH. (view changes)
jwdbox - Friday, 26 April, 2013, at 7:27:40 pm
MikenOH
Interesting info; significant area of cargo space lost behind the seats in the Cayman on the 981. On the 981 Boxster the major loss of space seems to be in the rear trunk--bad if you're a golfer--despite the fact the published numbers seem the same.
Regarding front and rear fender height, our 981S with SS is at roughly 27.5"F and 27.75" R--say 13mm in front and 20mm in the rear. Lower for sure than the stock suspension, but nothing near what the author had with his Damptronic setup.
Absolutely correct, there is no comparison if you are a golfer cool smiley
Here is SilverBox (987) with a full set of golf clubs including driver and woods with head covers in a regular sized golf bag:

and here is a 981, which offers no possible way of getting it into the trunk whole:
[i40.tinypic.com]

cool smiley
Thanks for posting
Roger987 - Friday, 26 April, 2013, at 9:51:20 am
Interesting measurements. In the ones that matter most (to me), it seems the 987 holds its own (and sometimes does better), though I wouldn't mind a longer wheelbase.
paulwdenton - Friday, 26 April, 2013, at 8:17:37 pm
In checking out the new Cayman versus my 08 Cayman, I noticed that the new Cayman's rear trunk is smaller but deeper. However, the new Cayman has quite a bit more kneeroom. I am 6'-4" and on my 08, my knee comes within 1/2" of the dashboard. The only way to increase that would be to make the backrest more upright so I could move the entire seat backwards. The new version is definitely more roomy and I have to admit, I really like the feeling. I didn't measure it but it certainly felt much less cramped and it seemed like there were quite a few options for me to settle in. The new one also has those fancy seats that extend, but with me the extension does no good since my legs are so long they never even touch the extended part. It's also more powerful and nicer inside. Those are not enough reasons to buy it, however. I still think my 987 is much better-looking and it has the overpowering advantages of being modified to my specifications and being fully paid for. One of these days Porsche will fix the giant gaping hole on the side of the new Cayman/Boxster (most likely with an extra-cost option) and by then maybe I'll reconsider.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login