Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Different take on LED DRLs on 986
Kimo - Saturday, 27 April, 2013, at 9:05:43 am
LED bulbs can be purchased at many internet sites. I've replaced all parking lights with LEDs to greatly reduce battery consumption.
LED side-emitting strips are cheapest on "eee" bay. You'll need 2x 12-inch strips, but ensure the lights emit from the side to have the desired effect, below. I ordered the 24-inch strip and cut it in half, which worked out great because both ends had their own leads.

Bulb Reference (from your 986 owner's manual).

What the LEDs look like for each head light. If lights do not turn on, reverse the polarity, i.e. switch the red and black wire connections. Total cost is less than $30, pending where you buy the LEDs from.

LEDs installed, lights off

Lights on
Self-contained wiring...
Kimo - Saturday, 27 April, 2013, at 5:19:14 pm
The LED strip comes with 3M adhesive at its bottom side. Make sure you know which side the LED side-emitting element lights from before securing with hot glue, and route the wire along the side, under weather strip and through the fog light access cover, and towards the back of the headlight assembly. Also, tap into the parking light wiring inside the back end of the headlight assembly; you will need some T-connections from Radio Shack to make the splice easier. Here are some snap shots to give you an idea.

Hidden from view, until LED is on...top-right photo was before the LED parking bulb was added; the bottom-right photo is with LED parking bulb...now the light colors match!
Using heat shrink wraps to your advantage...
Kimo - Sunday, 28 April, 2013, at 9:32:48 am
Use the heat shrink wraps, instead of electrical tape, to secure connected wires together; use a lighter to shrink the wraps. My LED-strip wires were not long enough. You can also use the wraps to organize wires together, to assist in feeding them through difficult areas. I used 22-gauge solid wire to take advantage of its rigid property to help with placing wire where you want it.

Splice to Brown & Gray wires from parking light...
Kimo - Sunday, 28 April, 2013, at 9:59:47 am
Use T-connectors to splice into the parking light bulb's brown & gray wires. The actual connector package is pictured below; make sure the connectors are capable of splicing 22-gauge wire. The final step is to plug in the headlight assembly and test; if the LED bulb or strip do not light, just reverse polarity - I had to do this for both. To reverse polarity on LED parking bulb - just unplug and turn 180 and plug back; for strip - just unplug the T-connectors and switch them. Good luck!

Where's the parking bulb?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login