Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
tire rotation?
boxster99 - Monday, 29 April, 2013, at 9:28:27 am
Hi folks,

I regularly rotate all my cars' tires once a year except for the boxster. Since the front and rear are not the same size, is it good idea just to swap left and right?

Thanks,
Tony
... you have non-directional tires.
Most of the high-performance summer tires are directional so you cannot interchange right-to-left.
If they are symmetrical and directional you can dismount from the wheel, flip and remount and then you can change sides.
If they are asymmetrical and directional you cannot change them.
Make sure the car is well aligned so that the tires wear as evenly as possible.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
not that i have not do so at the track many times.....
grant - Wednesday, 1 May, 2013, at 9:15:37 am
when an outer edge disintigated......

In general directionality has to do with water expulsion and can be done, if you understand the implications.

You can also dismount the tires and re-install them such that they are running int he right direction, but have the opposite edge outside.

(e.g.: visually just slide the tires from the left wheel to the right wheel, now the inside edge is the outside edge)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
which is not hard to do once it is set up correctly and tire wear side to side and also across the tread faces will be just fine.

After new tires are installed and if necessary the alignment done I do not touch the rear tires again -- ignoring air pressure checks -- for 15K, 18K, 20K or more miles until it is time to replace them. The front tires do not get touched again (save air pressure checks) for 40K or more miles until it is time to replace them.

I forget where I came across this but it is not a good idea to mount/dismount/mount again high performance tires. And once a tire has been run in one direction it is not a good idea to reverse its direction of rotation.

Be sure the alignment is right.

Check tire pressures regularly.

The only tire rotation you should do is rotate those suckers when you take the car out for a drive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login