Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Cloth convertiable top
Greg - Friday, 3 May, 2013, at 9:37:06 am
99 Boxster

I had a new window put in back in 2003. It has lived its life. It is starting to separate in a couple of places from the cloth. I called a place here in the Cleveland area and they said that to sew a new one in, they'd have to take the top off. At that cost (about $600), I might as well buy a new cloth and replace it myself as it is starting to show wear. So my questions are:

1. Good source for a new cloth top? I read a couple of the DIY pages and feel confident I can replace it myself as I've done many other items. What should I expect for a price?

2. Do I stick with the same type that I have or go with the one that has the replacement glass, albeit smaller glass to accomodate the fold.

Thanks, everyone.

Greg
1999 Boxster
Re: Cloth convertiable top
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 3 May, 2013, at 9:44:28 am
Properly installing a soft top is not as easy as you would think.
There are many little tricks required in order to get a professional look.
Many people who try this at home end up not too happy with the result (wrinkles in the canvas in various places).
But if you are confident that you can do it, send me an e-mail and I'll get you a good deal on any GAHH top, which I consider the best in the market.
You can go with either the plastic window or the glass window (more expensive and more restrictive).
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Cloth convertiable top
danz76 - Friday, 3 May, 2013, at 4:50:03 pm
I agree with Pedro, go with the GAHH top, they are the best by far. This MUST be installed by a professional. I went through two plastic replacement windows before giving in and getting the GAHH with the glass window. I am very pleased with the result.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login