Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Heater Core Replacement
EZ AIRE - Tuesday, 14 May, 2013, at 9:55:01 pm
I ordered a new Heater Core because I am getting that faint smell of Anti-Freeze and an almost oil residue on the inside of the windscreen which point to the core going bad. Looking through the Bentley Manual today, it says to use a Butyl Sealant when reinstalling the new unit. I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this "magic" and steer me toward some or let me know if Permatex RTV Blue will do the trick. The Manual is very vague as to where or how to source this stuff and after visiting 2 parts houses, the only Butyl Sealant that anyone knows about (including Google) is a Tape used for installing windshields. Any help will be appreciated.
I replaced mine and didn't seal with anything 2000 S. Not getting it. I forget as it was a few years a go, but I think the core comes with a foam seal installed.... I think it was a foam thing... just can't remember. Easy job. See the seal on the old one here, it is just under the black plastic top thingy.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Picture here.... what year is your car?
BarryL - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 11:11:47 pm
I will be replacing my heater core this weekend. I received the unit but it does not have the foam seal at the top of the unit, so I guess I will be inspecting the old one and using it. It was interesting that there was such a wide price differential in these OEM units... the veleo (sp?) unit I received seemed to be synomous with the ACM brand some other retailers sell for about $100 more. (I noticed a ACM sticker as well as a veleo imbedded lettering embossed on the plastic).

Also, does anyone know if the heater core will require more that 1 ltr of coolant for this job.... that is what I ordered so I hope not.

BarryL
2002 Boxster base 164K
Dublin, CA
Re: Heater Core Replacement
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Wednesday, 15 May, 2013, at 10:34:57 am
I repllaced mine a year ago. I got a great price thanks to Spec Racing discards. It is straight froward, you have to remove some braces and the windshield wipers, but definitely DIY worthy. Burping the coolant system is required.
Re: Heater Core Replacement
EZ AIRE - Wednesday, 15 May, 2013, at 7:21:58 pm
Based on the instructions in Bentley's it looks straight forward. I think I have the Butyl figured out. Thanks
I have the same problem.... sweet maple smell and oil residual on windshield when using the defroster, so I will be replacing mine. I priced out a boxster heater core at $360 for original porsche part or around $165 for Velco OEM through Pelican parts. Any thoughts on going either brand? I don't like to go away from original parts, but this is quite a price difference.

Thanks,

BarryL
Dublin, CA
2002 Boxster base tip 163K
It came in a white box, no labels. It matched the unit I pulled perfectly... .the seal may have been a different color... don't really remember but I am 100% it was the same part.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Thanks, Bruce. *NM*
BarryL - Sunday, 19 May, 2013, at 6:49:15 pm
I went with the same one from Pelican. Seemed to be of the same quality and fit perfectly. Definitely a DIY if you have patience and a great time to do some house keeping under the cowl. Hardest part was getting to it.
I found taking out the battery very helpful in getting access to the hoses and ensuring they were placed on the new heater core cleanly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login