Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Well, those are the brakes...
Kevin the Slow in NYC - Thursday, 16 May, 2013, at 3:11:16 pm
So, after getting my new tires installed, the pretty red indicator on the dash now indicates that I have brake pad wear. Three questions folks;

1) Is the brake wear sensor "mileage driven", so that it goes off after a certain mileage, or does it actually reflect the condition of the pads? The car just turned 45K and it seems like a coincidence that the light came on at that moment...,

2) Are Tygrave's instructions for doing a brake job on the 986 usable on the 987? And, if not, has anyone posted similar instructions for changing the pads on an 05 987S?

3) When I changed the pads on my 986, I didn't change the wear sensors. How many miles can I drive on the old pads before I damage the sensors? (like, could I drive to BRBS and get Pedro to do them at the Tech Session? smileys with beer Actually, I'm just concerned about driving the car locally until I can change the pads.

KtS
Re: Well, those are the brakes...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 16 May, 2013, at 3:36:06 pm
Kevin the Slow in NYC
So, after getting my new tires installed, the pretty red indicator on the dash now indicates that I have brake pad wear. Three questions folks;

1) Is the brake wear sensor "mileage driven", so that it goes off after a certain mileage, or does it actually reflect the condition of the pads? The car just turned 45K and it seems like a coincidence that the light came on at that moment...,

2) Are Tygrave's instructions for doing a brake job on the 986 usable on the 987? And, if not, has anyone posted similar instructions for changing the pads on an 05 987S?

3) When I changed the pads on my 986, I didn't change the wear sensors. How many miles can I drive on the old pads before I damage the sensors? (like, could I drive to BRBS and get Pedro to do them at the Tech Session? smileys with beer Actually, I'm just concerned about driving the car locally until I can change the pads.

KtS

1- The brake wear sensors indicate brake wear. They are not driven by mileage.
2- 986 and 987 brakes are almost identical.
3- Brake wear sensors are reusable as long as the don't break when you remove them from the old pad and assuming they haven't worn through.
We'd be happy to work with you on Saturday to get pads and or sensors installed.
See you soon
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Dave In MD - Thursday, 16 May, 2013, at 6:23:29 pm
Changing brake pads is very easy on these cars - both 986 and 987. I change mine all the time between track pads and street pads. With an impact wrench and a shop jack, it's a 20 minute job if you don't rush.

The light just says the pad material is getting thin and it's done with a sensor attached to the pad. If it just came on, it's very unlikely you'll have a problem before "work on your car day" at BRBS. It would make a great "show and tell" for Saturday. smiling smiley

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
"Show and Tell"
Roger987 - Thursday, 16 May, 2013, at 7:49:38 pm
You know, that could be the name of a song. winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]
Re: "Show and Tell"
boxsterd - Friday, 17 May, 2013, at 1:51:39 am
Actually when I read the the title "those are the brakes", I flashed back to this song...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2013 01:56AM by boxsterd. (view changes)
you can drive for a long time with the light on. The sensors (or sensor -- there is probably just one that is a bit ahead of the others) will just wear more and more then the others will join in. I managed to drive my Boxster at least several thousand miles after the brake wear sensor light came on. I planned on driving it down the pad backing plates but I got tired of the light being on and replaced the brake pads, rotors and I can't remember if I replaced the sensors or not. I've reused them in the past with no issues.

You probably want to inspect the pads and look for a set of pads or even just one that is more worn than the others. Also, check the outer and inner surfaces of all rotors just to make sure there's no grooving or other serious degradation taking place. Rare but you want to, should be sure.

Can't help you with the brake job question. Some newer models of cars -- does this include the Cayman/Boxster? IDK -- require the caliper be removed to replace the pads. The techs tell me the more enclosed caliper is stronger, more rigid, which improves braking action/feel but the cost is the caliper has to come off to remove the old pads and install the new pads.
Rob in CO - Thursday, 16 May, 2013, at 5:35:36 pm
Never done them on a 987 myself but from doing tech inspections, there is little or no difference from a 986. If you check you brakes even somewhat regularly, you can choose to delete the sensors. I did once I strarted tracking the car. If it was still just a street car I might keep them. I think you could go hundreds of miles, if not more with the sensor on. There is quite a bit of pad left past the sensor holes.
You can drive quite a long distance
Boxsterra - Thursday, 16 May, 2013, at 10:26:24 pm
after the brake wear light comes on before you have to change the pads. And there is plenty of audible warning before there is a real problem. Going all the way to BRBS is no problem.

If you're still on the original pads, chances are it's just the fronts that are worn. If that's the case, I would get a new set of pads and we'll pop them in.

Or if someone up in CT has a TSBL session we can do it there. Simple.
Simple solution....
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Friday, 17 May, 2013, at 8:04:45 am
just don't brake! smileys with beer

Hope all is well. One of these days we've got to get the "gang" together for a drive.

Regards,

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Jaay - Friday, 17 May, 2013, at 11:23:04 am
That is funny @boxsterra "Or if someone up in CT has a TSBL session we can do it there" Let's just plan it and show up. smiling smiley
grant - Friday, 17 May, 2013, at 2:25:48 pm
1. its a wire that wears through or grounds to the rotor

2. 987 = 986 for all practical purposes

3. from the point where the wear light goes on, you have LOTS of time, unless you are on the track. Should be almost 3/16" of pad material.

Then again, pads take an hour to do.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login