Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
damaged suspesnion, need serious help (advise)
Frissen - Sunday, 19 May, 2013, at 11:32:33 pm
thanks to the terrible road and driving conditions down here in central Mexico my M030 euro spec suspension has been seriously damaged...

this is how my beloved 986 sat before the incident...

now I have two damaged shocks, shock mounts and wheels... so i need some replacement parts, and here is where everyoune who can help on the boards comes in...

I checked the rack and the PSS9 might do the trick for me, nonetheless I will have these new coilovers siting on top of some 13 year old components so I need advise on some items...

Shock mounts, which ones?

My tech tells that I need the sawybar droplinks as well, any suggestions?

Last but not least the lower control arms, they seem to be in order but still they are 13 years old, should I go for the adjustable ones?

I need to put togheter this package fast as the sits at the dealer as we speak, I hope some of you can give me some good input, thanks.
Re: damaged suspesnion, need serious help (advise)
986rgt - Monday, 20 May, 2013, at 6:12:07 am
I believe Tarrett Engineering sells all this stuff, looks to be quality stuff...

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
How many miles?
grant - Monday, 20 May, 2013, at 8:44:58 am
While its 13 years old, many of those components could be OK or shot.

I'll stick to the parts that need replacement. Drop links are really more a matter of adjust ability, and vanity, IMNSHO.

I would replace the upper strut bearings. This is a rubber part with a bearing race molded in. Possibly the most failure prone part of the entire setup, and way higher on your priority than drop links.

Next are the mounts. Not many options - get OEM replacments. I would do the fronts ( cheap) and think about the rears.

I dont know the condition of the rubber spring perches. Up to you. Ditto the bump stops (also called spring helper)

Control arms may be fine or may not. Its the bushings and ball joints that wear. You can get lemforder or TRW at sane prices. I am doing my rears after 199k miles. The fronts were done at about 150k.

Check your CV boots.

If you are destroying M030, what is possessing you to put in PSS9s and make the problem worse?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: How many miles?
Frissen - Monday, 20 May, 2013, at 3:02:26 pm
Its 44k miles.

Well I ran the M030 pretty hard and with the damaged components I thought on going for coilovers instead of repurchasing the same suspension.

The damage was cause by debris from a load truck sad smiley

I'm looking into Tarret as well smiling smiley
Hi Frissen:
You will be happy with the PSS9s.
I installed them on mine several years ago and like you I also had the M030 factory suspension.
You will need to put two new 986.333.059.03 Supporting Mounts for the rear coil overs.
Item No. 2 on the diagram:

[i83.photobucket.com]

You'll be fine with the M030 sawybars, if the droplinks are still hard to move.
When you set the adjustment of the PSS9s keep in mind that 9 is soft and 1 is hard.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro, why do you call oput the rear mounts... but not
grant - Monday, 20 May, 2013, at 7:44:40 pm
..the fronts, nor the rubber/bearing race.

The bearing race is much more fragile than the mount. And why the rear but not the front mount?

Grant

Grant

Re: damaged suspesnion, need serious help (advise)
Frissen - Monday, 20 May, 2013, at 8:53:48 pm
thanks Pedro for the input... I will e-mail for more details because I'm stuck here in Puebla and not many people to ask what I need to buy...

this is how it looks now sad smiley
Ouch. Cannot be adjusted to minimize further?
grant - Tuesday, 21 May, 2013, at 9:54:09 am
Begin with obvious things like Tie rods, eccentric bolts that move, etc.

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login