Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Water pump - which bolts where?
SMILIN - Wednesday, 29 May, 2013, at 1:15:59 am
Hi all. I replaced my tension and idler pulleys due to noise. Had the serpentine belt back in place and was doing my i'm-done-i'm-happy-but-better-check-everything-one-more-time check when i noticed that the "top right" bolt on the water pump was touching the belt, and actucally deflecting it a bit. ("top right" also described as the bolt on the top, driver's side, almost touching the serpentine belt.) it looked like it had about a 1/16th" gap that needed to be tightened down. it wouldn't tighten any more, so i removed it to find a lock washer acting as a spacer. because of the bolt sticking out a bit, the belt cut a groove in the bolt head. i removed the lock washer (clearly shouldn't have been there) and reinstalled the bolt. with about 1/16th" of a gap remaining, i got significant resistance, but cranked it down anyways. then, only then darn it, i thought that was probably the wrong bolt...too long. i had the water pump replaced by a local shop about 20k miles ago and suspect that they mixed up the bolts. i've now read tips about tracking the bolts when replacing the water pump because the lengths vary, but i can't find a parts diagram which points to which bolts where. with my blabbering, frustrated background out of the way:

1) can anyone find a diagram stating which length bolts go in each hole of the water pump, or at least the "top right" bolt that is right next to the path of the belt?

2) did i screw anything up by driving that bolt in the extra 1/16"? it sure seems like "very little" but i have no idea what's on "the other side."

3) does that "top right" bolt have a flatter head than the others to provide just a tad extra clearance between it and the belt?

Thanks, as always, Doug
Yikes. That resistance is telling you something is wrong. You risk breaking something, like the bolt, and then it's a PITA to fix.

The bolts are not all the same length. See the parts diagram here: [www.autoatlanta.com]

Some are M6 x 25 and some are M6 x 30. Note that the difference in length is about 3/16".

The shop should fix it for you.
Thank you for the response. "...something is wrong." I know, I know - I had a lapse in patience and judgement. smiling smiley

I still haven't seen a diagram that points to which length bolt goes where, but was told by the boxsterpro that the longer bolts go to the 4 and 8 o'clock positions. I bought and stuck in a 25mm bolt and all is well. The shop would have taken care of the issue for me, but was closed for a week due to holiday and owner surgery.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login