Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
981 electric oil pump
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 16 June, 2013, at 1:17:04 pm
Apparently, the 981's A91 engine now has an electric oil pump. The reason given in the literature is that it improves fuel economy. Would another benefit be that oil pressure would stay more constant since it wouldn't necessarily be controlled by the speed of the engine as in the past?

Also wondering if the oil pump starts up when the fuel pump does when you turn on the ignition.
And I suppose it's not so much "more constant" but "as needed." I don't think there's any pressure when the ignition is merely "on" otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2013 01:43PM by Laz. (view changes)
Can't remember which but I believe the 9A1 has 3 or 5 oil pumps. There is at least 1 that is electric. I had one replaced under warranty on my 3.4L 987.2 because it was making noise. I believe the multiple pumps was it response to past oil starvation problems. There is at least some pressure response based on demand/need and not just RPM, but I don't know if all of the pumps respond based on the same criteria. It all sounds complicated, but the motors have been dependable.
Found this thread. Last message (Lightning) mentions pumps in the heads. Perhaps they're somehow responsible for the 1 psi, and the sump pump is electronically controlled, not electric.
[boxcar-racing.com]

And this:
[caymanregister.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 12:31PM by Laz. (view changes)
2009 911 oil test rig video
Laz - Monday, 17 June, 2013, at 12:55:15 pm
I might've posted this a couple years ago, but it's at least fun to watch, if not that informative. Not sure about the sound effects, too.
Hope it loads ok:
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login